Possible cynodont tooth from the Bull Canyon Formation

EvolEd

Hi folks,

Here's another fossil I've always wondered about. I've always been frustrated with a general lack of early synapsid material (outside of some "pelycosaur" pieces) and I inquired from one of my trusted diggers at the time whether he had any cynodont material. Much to my surprise, he offered this tiny tooth. It's much larger than the classic Morganucodon mammaliform teeth but smaller than the Hell Creek multituberculate material. I had a great deal of difficulty photographing it even with a macro lens. It is from the Bull Canyon Formation, New Mexico, late Triassic. I've tried looking up pictures of cynodont teeth but they're so diverse. I'm hoping someone on this amazing forum can confirm whether or not it is a cynodont or can identify it even further. Thanks so much :fingerscrossed:

Cheers

Marcus

Cynodont1.JPG

Cynodont2.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Not much is published on isolated teeth from the Bull Canyon Fm

I'll offer the same suggestion I did on this recent post.  Try asking a paleontologist that is familiar with this deposit.

Info in the attached topic

• Thank You 1

andy heckert mentioned in the above post is the guy to talk to. 

tell him JP at the Tate Museum sent you.

Edited by jpc
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, Troodon said:

Not much is published on isolated teeth from the Bull Canyon Fm

I'll offer the same suggestion I did on this recent post.  Try asking a paleontologist that is familiar with this deposit.

Info in the attached topic

Thanks! Will do :) 

8 hours ago, jpc said:

Thanks JP! I'll try and get in contact :) 

On 7/6/2022 at 2:22 PM, jpc said:

@Troodon @jpc Dr. Andy Heckert has responded and said that "cynodont is reasonable but as you've indicated, it's tough as there are other Triassic things with similar teeth. It's an interesting animal and I hope to able to collect some like that." He even identified the person who found it originally by name! haha That's amazing. Thanks for the suggestion :) 

• I found this Informative 1

Thats great, thanks for getting back with us.   Triassic material is awfully difficult just not alot around and little is published but its good we have a resource like him.

• I Agree 1