Whatever this fish tooth is, I've never found one before. I had a small sliver showing in a rock and spent over an hour slowly air scribing over it and getting it to this point. I'm hesitant to go much further, as I may break it.

I considered Polyacrodus for the shape, but I see none with the pitted pattern that this has. Tired of trying to ID Pennsylvanian fish teeth yet, @connorp? Maybe this is another paver type teeth from a ray, etc.

For scale, the length of the tooth in the first photo is 13 mm.

CG-0499-Fish-Tooth-001-scaled.jpg

CG-0499-Fish-Tooth-002.jpg

CG-0499-Fish-Tooth-003.jpg

Edited by cngodles
measurement.
  • Enjoyed 6

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos

I found another pitted tooth in the same strata two years ago (CG-0101 Detalodus sp., photo below). They do look similar to bryozoans, but I think the spacing and size of the holes that the zooids live is different. I think bryozoan are usually more oval shaped and usually lined up. The pits on this are more randomly distributed and rounded.

But, I won't rule it out. I just feel that it's unlikely with the shape and size of this.

unknown-stack-2020-09-04-001-scaled.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, Lone Hunter said:

Could it be bryzoan? 

Holocephalian crusher teeth can look a lot like bryozoa but they often have a specific shape to them, with more sparse, finer pitting, and they are made up of enamel unlike bryozoa.

• I found this Informative 2

Orodus seems reasonable.* Nice tooth.

* "Distinguishing between isolated orodont and eugeneodont teeth is still a hazardous occupation, often becoming a matter of arbitrary and intuitive opinion." (Handbook of Paleoichthyology Vol. 3D)

• I found this Informative 3

8 hours ago, connorp said:

Distinguishing between isolated orodont and eugeneodont teeth is still a hazardous occupation, often becoming a matter of arbitrary and intuitive opinion

I agree with that. Photos online run a wide gamut. Now I need to figure out if I should just stop prepping it or go a little further. Thank you all.

Also some interesting features within the order:

• These are a mesio-distally elongated crushing tooth.
  • The lateral cusps are fused with the center. Gives it the smooth flowing appearance from center cusp to the lateral ones. (There is one broken/missing on mine, it was outside of the matrix, so likely eroded away)
  • The pitted appearance of the crown is due to composition of tubular dentine.

As for pitted dentine, which is a feature often with crushing type teeth, I have a microscopic photo of this feature. My Detalodus tooth specimen was broken when I found it. You can see the channels that run through the tooth, the surface is at the top of the photo.

image.png.7deef4932193dfd6e49de5fc93425f21.png

Edited by cngodles