Learning about other methods of preparation

GorgonGal

I have been prepping for nearly 7 years and work on private contracts. I used to work in a museum where they have been using the same methods since mid-2000s so I was taught to prepare using the techniques and tools that they taught me with (and developed my own skills for micro-preparation), namely just using a pneumatic scribe (ME-9100, CP9361, MJ) and a microscope. I've been curious about chemical prep, and was wondering if someone could explain to a complete newbie some of the ins and outs of the method? Or direct me to any forum threads/good websites that explain it. I want to broaden my abilities and also find out if there are any modern developments, besides just buying a new scribe, to preparation as a whole (not just mechanical). I've also never tried sandblasting but wasn't sure if that would be useful. Basically I want to know when it's appropriate to use chemicals, pneumatic tools and sandblasting. Any insights from fellow preppers would be appreciated! :D

Just for a bit more information I primarily work on mammal-like reptiles (therapsids) from the Permian-Triassic boundary from the Karoo area in South Africa. 

Disclaimer: I must admit I haven't had the chance to search the forum extensively for this information so I'm sure there must be info I just haven't found it yet :ninja:

Tiffany

Uncovering the late Permian one fossil at a time 

5 hours ago, GorgonGal said:

Basically I want to know when it's appropriate to use chemicals, pneumatic tools and sandblasting.

This book is pricy but well worth every dollar. https://www.amazon.com/Vertebrate-Paleontological-Techniqe-Patrick-Leiggi/dp/0521459001

It's an older reference but it does discuss many topics of preparation (chemical and mechanical) as well as field work. There's a great entry on acid prep.

I use micro abrasive regularly on specimens. I can't recommend the Crystal Mark Swam Blaster enough. It comes with a huge price tag but it a versatile piece of equipment. It can be dialed in for very fine, low pressure work, and then easily modified for more aggressive matrix removal.

• I found this Informative 1

Amazing! Thank you everyone for your insights I will look into each of the suggestions :D

Tiffany

Uncovering the late Permian one fossil at a time