Texas Nautiloid With A Surprise

historianmichael

A few weeks ago my brother and I took a weekend trip to do some sightseeing in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. I had been meaning to check out an area of interest in the Late Cretaceous Period, Early Cenomanian Grayson Marl, so early Sunday morning before the museums in Dallas opened I made a quick stop to the site to at least cross it off my list. The outcrop itself was small but I was able to find the usual suspects- Ilymatogyra oysters and Neithea scallops, partial Mariella bosquensis heteromorph ammonites, and a Stoliczkaia conlini ammonite that is sadly missing its juvenile whorls. The real highlight find for me though was a big Cymatoceras hilli nautiloid. Unfortunately it is missing a chunk out of it but it is the biggest Cymatoceras nautiloid that I have found. However, the fun of discovery did not end there. After I brought it home, and as I was taking some extra matrix off, I split the backside of the nautiloid to reveal that a small Mariella rhacioformis ammonite that been pushed inside the nautiloid during deposition. And, as I was further prepping the ammonite with air tools to reveal more detail, I discovered a broken shark tooth, possibly Cretolamna appendiculata, next to it. What I thought was a cool singular find turned out to be an awesome triple discovery. 

IMG_1315.thumb.jpg.59d13d1484970cb7567f64ad9caf5198.jpg

IMG_1317.thumb.jpg.da3ad83e2ff4999dd419355a5065c539.jpg

IMG_1324.thumb.jpg.0484b4005a581042f478390498e73235.jpg

• Enjoyed 13

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

That is awesome- fossil of the month material I think

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg