Bleaching fossils with heat

Denis Arcand

Rocks are handy for a campfire. A common use for stones in a campfire is to create a protective ring around the flame. This ring serves two purposes: Creates a barrier between the fire and the rest of the forest, keeping the rest of the woods safe. Creates a wind barrier that can help light the fire, especially in wet and windy conditions

Whatever the reason, someone made a campfire at my fossil dig site, it's a small secluded beach along a river. A nice place to make a campfire. By the way, I noticed that a rock they used to make the protective ring around the flame, had very distinct and visible small white fossils on it. A small chuck of rock found in the ash contained even whiter fossils. I deduced that the bleaching of fossils is created by the heat of the fire.

463R_IMG_20211011_112852_45.450276_-73.265073.thumb.jpg.df02375fc89cc9013c34b7dbfd20d222.jpg

I started experimenting, I put a rock containing fossils in the oven and set the heat to maximum (don't laugh, this is a very serious experiment) after heating the fossil for a solid hour, nothing happened. For my second try, I used my barbecue (don't laugh), I think I can have a higher temperature with it, I cook the same fossil for an hour and I get the same result: nothing. I needed more heat, so for my third try I put the fossil not on the grill but directly on the burners, and hooray I got white crinoids and Sowerbyella that really stand out from the matrix. Does anyone know what is the chemical process that creates this amazing effect?

I wonder if this is a good method to give a second life to dull, unappealing and scientifically unworthy fossils. The heating process helps to bring the fossils out of the matrix, making it visibly more interesting. What do you think?

A dull and unattractive fossil I used for my test

638R_DSC09779.thumb.JPG.9d5e0141845c771d22dde959395458e7.JPG

After high temperature heating638R_DSC00293.thumb.JPG.ecec8c53d5ceff20a6d614313874189b.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

One fossil a day will keep you happy all day:rolleyes:

Welcome to the FOSSIL ART

I wonder if the heat killed and carbonized encrusting organic matter such as lichen. The loose carbon then fell off. Sort of like a self cleaning oven does.

Try bleach first to see if it whitens the fossils. 

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I Agree 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Maybe it also burned (oxidised) carbonized microparticles within a thin surface layer of the fossil? Try to chip off a piece of one of the whitened ones.

Anyways, be very careful when you are subjecting rocks to great heat. Some can explode due to thermal stress.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, Denis Arcand said:

Does anyone know what is the chemical process that creates this amazing effect?

scientifically unworthy fossils.

:default_rofl:(not true)

The fire used the iron oxides from the rock as fuel. Eventually the rock will oxidize again over a long period of time.

Edited by TheInvertebrateGuy

Another thought would be micro fracturing of the calcitic fossils causing them to reflect light differently. 

Using protective eyewear, I heated (less than 30 seconds) a piece of calcite with a propane torch and immediately observed the formation of thousands of stress fractures.  The result was a 'whiter', more opaque look.

Heating in a campfire is probably slower than using propane, so the amount of micro fracturing might be greater.

The bottom piece was not heated.

IMG_20220707_134848554.jpg

The longest piece is about 3 cm.

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

9 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Another thought would be micro fracturing of the calcitic fossils causing them to reflect light differently. 

I think, you got it! Great! :dinothumb:

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1