Fossil crab found Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

OzNP

Hi guys,

I have recently found what I presume is a fossil crab on a beach in the Gold Coast, Queensland Australia. 

I’m wondering if anyone knows any more details about it, age, etc?

Thanks!

NP

F5CC29ED-1D58-4F30-BE7F-7DB315D701B6.jpeg

5988D28B-DBFA-4082-A875-62698469ABA8.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 8

@MB  @Doctor Mud  @RJB  @mamlambo

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Great find - hopefully the experts will chime in.

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome, and woooooow that's such a cool find!

• Enjoyed 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

I have looked for information a few times but not much on the web. the fossil are only recent possibly in the thousands or so years old so most likely still alive today.

That said looks like a male blue swimmer or sand crab. nice find 

The crustacean fossils are found anywhere along the coast and emerge from the mangrove areas and are mostly found after dredging in the area

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

"Podophthalmus vigil has previously been reported from the fossil record from Pliocene deposits of Java (Martin, 1883); Pleistocene rocks of Celebes (de Man, 1904);
Pleistocene deposits of Taiwan (Hu and Tao, 1996); Pleistocene deposits of Guam (Kesling, 1958) and from the Pleistocene Ryukyu Group, Okinawa-jima, Japan (Karasawa, Nohara, and Shimoji, 1995). Podophthalmus vigil is known from Recent occurrences in Japan, the Indo-Pacific, the Red Sea, and Apra Harbor in Guam (Sakai, 1976; Ng, 1998; G. Paulay, pers. commun.)...   ...Recent members of the genus are known from Japan (Sakai, 1976); thus, the genus appears to have evolved and dispersed within the Indo-Pacific region as early as the Pliocene."

Schweitzer, C.E., Scott-Smith, P.R., Ng, P.K. 2002.

New Occurrences of Fossil Decapod Crustaceans (Thalassinidea, Brachyura) from Late Pleistocene Deposits of Guam, United States Territory.

Bulletin of the Mizunami Fossil Museum, 29:25-49  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Welcome to TFF! What a great fossil to start off your joining the forum with! :D

Absolutely astounding that you were able to find it in this condition, as I can imagine the legs would've worn away pretty quickly had you not found it! Knowing how @mamlambo finds his crabs, it'd be pretty unusual to find one incompletely encased by a nodule. But I must say that it's also very surprising to me that the age of this fossil is as young as Holocene! I wouldn't have guessed this level of mineralisation would be possible in such a short timespan...! :o

• Enjoyed 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett