ID help - Alberta

DHC

Hi all

This one has me stumped. Found along the Red Deer River outside Dinosaur park.  I thought it had some characteristics of a jaw? Any help and direction would be appreciated.

782F038A-9E38-4027-B7D4-F5C1425895D6.jpeg

E7C809BF-05D2-4E2C-BD1B-475AAEA3100A.jpeg

56BB525B-4880-4012-931F-EAF92B967EB6.jpeg

B42005E2-CCA3-4E36-B63D-5274AC0B22C2.jpeg

D06577E6-9649-4C9A-8BE2-B269CECE5612.jpeg

First off, welcome to the forum! You've definitely come to the right place with your question, though it may occasionally take some time for the right people to find your post ;)

Anyway, not jaw - it'd be too thin and shallow for that, with no evidence for alveoli (tooth sockets) and a very unusual (for jaw bone) texture in the first photograph. Rather, the texture visible in the first photograph reminds me of turtle shell. And since the piece has something of a thickened and triangular shape, I think what you have here is a piece of the edge of a turtle's shell. Someone like @Carl or @Al Dente should be able to confirm this.

By the way, although I think this issue can probably be resolved without further photographs, for future reference it'd be best if you could photograph you specimen alongside a ruler in at least one photograph, to better help the rest of us get a good reading on the size of your specimen :)

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

I think turtle is a good bet here but it's actually quite hard to orient in the mind and reconcile completely with turtle.

• Thank You 1

25 minutes ago, Plax said:

maybe croc skull element?

That's something else I considered as well. But I believe the texture would, in that case, be different. The texture on this specimen simply looks most like turtle to me. May be @caterpillar has an idea?

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Im having a hard time reconciling this as a turtle shell given that the only broken edge is toward the end.  Croc and Champsosaurus are two to consider

• I found this Informative 2

Looks croc. There’s lots of croc material out here. Welcome to the forum fellow Albertan. 

Thanks for the direction on Croc and Champsosaurus.  

I've spent some time combing posts and the internet looking for something similar with no luck!

as @Troodon mentioned, the only broken edge towards the end has left me perplexed.
Cheers