Mazon Creek ID’s

Nimravis

First looks like Rhacophyllum, I don't have the flora book with me though so not sure on the species.

Second is a millipede.

As for the third, judging by the rest of the collection it has to be something very cool. So I'd first suggest Arthropleura pieces.

• Enjoyed 1

9 minutes ago, connorp said:

First looks like Rhacophyllum, I don't have the flora book with me though so not sure on the species.

Second is a millipede.

As for the third, judging by the rest of the collection it has to be something very cool. So I'd first suggest Arthropleura pieces.

Thanks Connor- that third piece looks familiar, but maybe I saw it in his collection years ago and remember it. It reminded me of teeth (the triangular things).

8 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Thanks Connor- that third piece looks familiar, but maybe I saw it in his collection years ago and remember it. It reminded me of teeth (the triangular things).

The third piece looks like the fore end of a carapace or maybe a mandible, or possibly Lepidostrobophyllum. The second piece looks like Euphoberia. I'm not ruling out Radicites on the first one.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
  • Thank You 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

24 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

The second piece looks like Euphoberia.

I don't think Euphoberia, I don' t see any spines on it.  Possible it could be Xyloiulus sp. or Pleurojulus sp.?  Both are spineless

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

I’m inclined to think the first is actually the hydroid Drevotella proteana- that ghostly preservation seems more typical of fauna than flora. 

Definitely millipede on the second one, and a beautiful example, not sure about the type though.

For the third I would lean towards Mark’s suggestion of Lepidostrobophyllum- perhaps a sort of squashed cone? I would need to see the  material in more detail to look at the texture to know for sure, it’s an interesting looking one.

• Thank You 1

4 hours ago, deutscheben said:

I’m inclined to think the first is actually the hydroid Drevotella proteana- that ghostly preservation seems more typical of fauna than flora. 

That explains why the branching doesn't quite match any flora.

4 hours ago, deutscheben said:

For the third I would lean towards Mark’s suggestion of Lepidostrobophyllum- perhaps a sort of squashed cone?

I was thinking the two pieces lying next to each other look like L. triangulare split down the middle minus the proximal portion of the bract, and quite desiccated prior to preservation.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
fix typo
  • Enjoyed 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!