Huntonia

Hey guys, I found this last month in the Wheeler Shale in Utah, and I'm at a total loss as to what it is. I showed it to a friend who collects there regularly and he wasn't sure what it is either. He suggested it might be a carpoid or something similar. It's ever so slightly raised on the matrix. Does anyone recognize it?

Scale in inches:

20220710_123617.thumb.jpg.dd3b98a93d94719407b4e3b599761a51.jpg

20220710_123257.thumb.jpg.2266aead64cba810f705531cf38b480b.jpg

20220710_123209.jpg.267944db3a83c127374729f86b8644ea.jpg

Trilobite fragments?

@Top Trilo @Kane could it be?

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

6 minutes ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

Trilobite fragments?

@Top Trilo @Kane could it be?

Thanks Isaac, but you should know I'm not that good at identifying. :D

Not sure what fossil you got Isaac but someone else probably does.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

4 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

Thanks Isaac, but you should know I'm not that good at identifying. :D

Not sure what fossil you got Isaac but someone else probably does.

Ah, it's not my fossil! I'm not too good on my trilobites, could a single "plate" look like this?

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

43 minutes ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

Ah, it's not my fossil! I'm not too good on my trilobites, could a single "plate" look like this?

Yes, I know its not yours, I should have been more specific, both of you guys are named Isaac. ;)

If it is a trilobite part I would have no idea which part. I don't think it would be part of a cephalon because I don't see any facial suture. It is very plain and flat for it to be part of the thorax and doesn't really look like any part of the trilobite pygidiums that are found there.

• Enjoyed 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

56 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

Yes, I know its not yours, I should have been more specific, both of you guys are named Isaac. ;)

If it is a trilobite part I would have no idea which part. I don't think it would be part of a cephalon because I don't see any facial suture. It is very plain and flat for it to be part of the thorax and doesn't really look like any part of the trilobite pygidiums that are found there.

:duh2:

Alright! Thanks for the help, completely stuck when it comes to trilos... 

Anomalocaris or some other relative?

anomalocaridid - Wiktionary

Looks a bit like the plating on a eurypterid? Honestly no idea, way out of my age range so just throwing thoughts and seeing what'll stick!

My colleague who studies the Wheeler shale professionally had this to say:

"the possibility that it could be a carpoid works well for me. These are super weird eechinoderms that have a thickened margin. I can see something akin go that in this fossil. Not very arthropody as far as I can tell  https://mem.lyellcollection.org/content/memoirs/38/1/157/F4.large.jpg

the interpretation here is that it could be a marginal frame, and here is a paper with the echinoderms from wheeler for comparison: "

paleo.paper.120.pdf

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, debivort said:

"the possibility that it could be a carpoid works well for me. These are super weird eechinoderms that have a thickened margin. I can see something akin go that in this fossil. Not very arthropody as far as I can tell  https://mem.lyellcollection.org/content/memoirs/38/1/157/F4.large.jpg

the interpretation here is that it could be a marginal frame, and here is a paper with the echinoderms from wheeler for comparison: "

paleo.paper.120.pdf 9.43 MB · 0 downloads

Interesting things, they are! Would you be able to ask them what their train of thought is here? I'd love to learn!

Edited by IsaacTheFossilMan

Here's what he had to say: "

the fossil does appear to be mineralized, rather than a carbonaceous impression (which would have a typically darker and possibly grainy appearance). My sense is that the inner side of the curvature is covered by sediment given its irregular outline whereas the outside of the curvature appears to be more representative of the actual morphology. It is entirely possible that a bit of prep work would reveal better what it is. However, do bear in mind that this is going from a photograph of sub-optimal fossil presrevation, so I would be inclined to think it is a carpoid, but I would not really bet money on it ... but there is only so much I can say from the material as it is "

• I found this Informative 3

19 minutes ago, debivort said:

Here's what he had to say: "

the fossil does appear to be mineralized, rather than a carbonaceous impression (which would have a typically darker and possibly grainy appearance). My sense is that the inner side of the curvature is covered by sediment given its irregular outline whereas the outside of the curvature appears to be more representative of the actual morphology. It is entirely possible that a bit of prep work would reveal better what it is. However, do bear in mind that this is going from a photograph of sub-optimal fossil presrevation, so I would be inclined to think it is a carpoid, but I would not really bet money on it ... but there is only so much I can say from the material as it is "

Cheers bud! Appreciate it.

On 7/11/2022 at 7:09 AM, debivort said:

paleo.paper.120.pdf 9.43 MB · 3 downloads

Great! Please tell him I really appreciate the help with the ID! And thanks to you for reaching out to him! :D