What Location, do you believe has yielded Shark Teeth with the Highest Levels of Preservation?

Rock Hound

Lee Creek Mine, of Aurora, NC?

Sharktooth Hill, of Bakersfield, CA?

Venice, FL?

Indonesia?

Chile?

Peru?

2 hours ago, Rock Hound said:

Lee Creek Mine, of Aurora, NC?

Sharktooth Hill, of Bakersfield, CA?

Venice, FL?

Indonesia?

Chile?

Peru?

Interesting question.  It wouldn't be Venice because you get teeth with water-wear.  I would say it would be a phosphate deposit like Lee Creek or Bone Valley or one with slow deposition like Sharktooth Hill.  You can get some very well-preserved teeth from any of those three and of course the Moroccan phosphates.  Any deposit that allows even fragile teeth like an Echinorhinus or Hexanchus to be found complete is right up there.

Some of the deposits that represent deepwater environments might be even better.  They can preserve delicate organisms like starfish or a tooth like Chlamydoselachus.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, siteseer said:

Interesting question.  It wouldn't be Venice because you get teeth with water-wear.  I would say it would be a phosphate deposit like Lee Creek or Bone Valley or one with slow deposition like Sharktooth Hill.  You can get some very well-preserved teeth from any of those three and of course the Moroccan phosphates.  Any deposit that allows even fragile teeth like an Echinorhinus or Hexanchus to be found complete is right up there.

Some of the deposits that represent deepwater environments might be even better.  They can preserve delicate organisms like starfish or a tooth like Chlamydoselachus.

The Oulad Abdoun Basin in Morocco has some really prettily well preserved Hexanchus fossils! 

I'm siding with Lee Creek / Oulad Abdoun Basin. 

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

27 minutes ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

The Oulad Abdoun Basin in Morocco has some really prettily well preserved Hexanchus fossils! 

Those phosphates extend across North Africa and into the Middle East.  I've seen some nice teeth from Israel and Jordan.  It's hard to rank the best ones.

• I Agree 1

41 minutes ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

Good point.  I failed to mention Morocco.  The nicest examples from there, have great looking enamel.

• Enjoyed 1

Throwing my vote in for Bone Valley, finding some of these teeth as perfectly preserved as they are is crazy. When you can cut yourself on the serrations just picking up the tooth you know it's good.

• Enjoyed 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

1 hour ago, Meganeura said:

Throwing my vote in for Bone Valley, finding some of these teeth as perfectly preserved as they are is crazy. When you can cut yourself on the serrations just picking up the tooth you know it's good.

From what I've seen, Lee Creek and Bone Valley have very similar preservation levels... It's a tight call on who I prefer out of these two!

• I Agree 1

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Let's not forget about Puglia, Italy.

Fossils For Sale | Fossils-UK.com | 2.75 Inch Rare Upper Miocene Italian  'Meg' Fossil Shark Tooth from Puglia, Italy:- Carcharocles chubutensis

• Enjoyed 1

Some of the UK's teeth can be pretty cool! I have a thread floating around here of a Planohybodus tooth I found in the Inferior Oolite, and here's some Hexanchus from Kent.

image.png.4414d4fb3719d8159225292a9ffc0776.png

• Enjoyed 1

18 hours ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

Let's not forget about Puglia, Italy.

Fossils For Sale | Fossils-UK.com | 2.75 Inch Rare Upper Miocene Italian  'Meg' Fossil Shark Tooth from Puglia, Italy:- Carcharocles chubutensis

The enamel and serrations are really nice, on that tooth.

• I Agree 1

I'm always mightily impressed with the preservation on the Eocene shark teeth pulled out of Kazakhstan. There are a few fossil hunters there that I follow on Instagram who often find near perfect specimens in those deserts. There's some beautiful cretaceous stuff too. With a quick google search here are some Kazakhstan specimens that match the look of the preservation I see being posted:

jdfghdgdsgfndgsarshgfnbfgsdrdhgfnx.jpg.6178f7372db0cc79c2b43ccf63a61366.jpg

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Can't believe no one's mentioned the chalk in Kansas! The Niobrara chalk produces some mighty fine Cretaceous teeth and even articulated skeletons. 

Ginsu1.thumb.jpg.ed560c98d96ab248597ce52623404791.jpg

Ginsu2.thumb.jpg.f736521c26584e133d4cbb824dc572d7.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff