Fossil Hunting in Wyoming!

Piper

Hey all! I've taken a job in Lander for the summer, and am hoping to plan a few fossil hunting expeditions before I head back out east in the fall. Does anyone have any advice for fossil hunting out here on a budget, or any favorite locations? Thanks!

Can't go wrong with the Green River Shale if you can make it out to Kemmerer. The quarries charge pretty respectable rates for what you're finding. 

• Thank You 1

On 7/12/2022 at 2:48 PM, Piper said:

Hey all! I've taken a job in Lander for the summer, and am hoping to plan a few fossil hunting expeditions before I head back out east in the fall. Does anyone have any advice for fossil hunting out here on a budget, or any favorite locations? Thanks!

Grab a geologic map. Anywhere you find the Sundance Formation on BLM Land, you have a reasonable chance of finding belemnites and several types of oysters, including the dreaded "devil's toenails"!  The Madison Limestone in the Bighorn Mts produces some fine stromatoporoids and stromatolites

• Thank You 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

I have never tried it but every time I drive through Lander, I want to stop for fossils.  There is a ton of ate Cretaceous rocks out there that are BLM land that you could go to look for ammonites.  The Wyoming Geological Map can be very useful for this, along with the Lander BLM 1:100,000 map that tells you what land is BLM and what land is private.  Or if you have OnX, that is even better.   

• Thank You 1