Limonite or petrified wood?

Nat006

I found these in a forest in Germany. What are they? Petrified wood? Or just a rock/limonite?

Thank you.

IMG_20220712_182233.jpg

IMG_20220712_182255.jpg

IMG_20220712_182312.jpg

IMG_20220712_182324.jpg

IMG_20220712_182340.jpg

IMG_20220712_182509.jpg

Could be limonite, indeed.

Definitely not pet wood.

27 minutes ago, Nat006 said:

forest in Germany

Any chance for a more detailed localization ;)?

Franz Bernhard

• Thank You 1

I can imagine wood that wasn't quite preserved looking like this, but the ID would need to come from context.

• Thank You 1

Sorry, guys! Michelstadt in Hessen. There were just a few of them on the ground deeper into the forest.

• Thank You 1

I think that the stone in your area is of magmatic origin, so you probably won't be finding much in the way of fossils in your forest.

• Thank You 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

9 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I think that the stone in your area is of magmatic origin, so you probably won't be finding much in the way of fossils in your forest.

Thank you! Do you know some good areas/localities to hunt for fossils in Germany? Where is the stone favorable for that kind of stuff?

2 hours ago, Nat006 said:

Thank you! Do you know some good areas/localities to hunt for fossils in Germany? Where is the stone favorable for that kind of stuff?

The Solnhofen Limestone is a world famous fossil deposit in Bavaria. There are a few public quarries where you can get great specimen.

9 hours ago, Nat006 said:

There are way to many to list here. I would suggest that you click on the "Steinkern" link at the bottom of my post, peruse the section "Fundorte" and also register for the Forum, where you will find a wealth of information. I assume that you speak German since you live there.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/