Alyshiaholdiman

Location and size would be important here, but I'm so far only seeing geologic phenomena. As for whether you can "claim" it, you would have to read the laws regarding what can and cannot be done on BLM land.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I'm honestly not sure about what we are supposed to be looking at. :shrug::headscratch:

• I Agree 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the forum!

The red markings almost look like some sort of faint petroglyph (which would of course be off limits to any collecting or tampering). The other images look to be a variety of strange shapes and textures likely created by erosional forces. Could you explain to us or highlight the regions of the image that are catching your attention?

Cheers.

-Ken

Not a fossil. This is differential weathering along strata. Softer sedimentation has been hollowed out by erosional forces.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I'm not sure what I'm looking at either and it's way high above my head to be able to reach or inspect but I'd sure like to know and have no clue as to how I go about finding out. Blm is sure excited for me to take them to location but I want to see if I am able to figure out how to find out more with out them I want to do so  

I'm telling you it's bone from what I can see in person it's definitely not just hollowed out sediment the formation of what I think looks like a jaw or something does not break or chip like the sediment it's encases in and it sounds completely different when I toss a stone up as where the stuff around it crumbles and falls when hit with a stone 

33 minutes ago, Alyshiaholdiman said:

Blm is sure excited for me to take them to location but I want to see if I am able to figure out how to find out more with out them I want to do so  

I'm afraid that we can only even judge less than you can from our vantage point here as you can tell by the answers you have already recieved. How can you "tell" us it's bone when you can't even reach up to touch it? I'm not seeing any obvious traits of bone in your photos at any rate. I'm also tending to say that erosive forces have created what you are seeing, but of course I'm not at all certain. So I guess you'll just have to wait until the Blm people bring their ladder along. Did they at least have some reaction to these photos?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

51 minutes ago, Alyshiaholdiman said:

I'm telling you it's bone from what I can see in person it's definitely not just hollowed out sediment the formation of what I think looks like a jaw or something does not break or chip like the sediment it's encases in and it sounds completely different when I toss a stone up as where the stuff around it crumbles and falls when hit with a stone 

If this is "way high above your head", I might recommend not to throw stuff at this - if it does crumble like you say the rest does, and as there is an overhang, this could very well fall if forced to crumble by throwing stuff at it - if it is a fossil, this would almost certainly break it, and, even more importantly, it would very much hurt you as there appears to be great mass on top of the cliff face. Be careful :SunFace:

Edited by IsaacTheFossilMan

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Collecting fossils on blm land tends to be very illegal.   it does  look geological to me but i would take their help and see what it is.