Peace River Carnivorous Mammal tooth ID?

Meganeura

So I’m currently out in one of the creeks that lead into the peace. Found this tooth - so I don’t have my scale cube currently, but I wanted to ask if I could get an id on it. It’s small - but 1000000% fossilized. Was thinking Dire Wolf since the shape is a perfect match, but I’m not sure if the size says otherwise.

7414BDC2-7D9F-4C84-A143-2CF1D7096F76.thumb.jpeg.5ec282fcf7705414ad81505e035befc7.jpeg9BB74F85-3AF6-4C39-AC9F-D0FDE9E318FF.thumb.jpeg.4c9173365d818f0f7fafac167272531c.jpeg

Edited by Meganeura
Title change
  • Enjoyed 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

From the size and shape I would say Procyonid - Racoon ? Others will hopefully chime in to be certain though ........

• Thank You 1

4 minutes ago, Done Drillin said:

From the size and shape I would say Procyonid - Racoon ? Others will hopefully chime in to be certain though ........

We’ll that’s a shame if so, lol.

Certainly a carnivore which could include other things as well ....... A cool find no matter what and a nice addition to your collection

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Done Drillin said:

Certainly a carnivore which could include other things as well ....... A cool find no matter what and a nice addition to your collection

You make a good point, though I’m inclined to think it’s raccoon after some googling. Ah well.

@Done Drillin Do you think the tooth could be from a cat, possibly? Lynx, Puma, etc? I know there's a few Pliocene cats in Florida. Now that I'm home I did the burn test (Since I really have no clue how else to test a tooth to see if it's a fossil) and it didn't burn. 

Edited by Meganeura

Better let the experts take it from here - it appears pretty small to me- maybe bobcat or fox ? I’m just not sure and don’t want to mislead you ......

• Thank You 1

Just now, Done Drillin said:

Better let the experts take it from here - it appears pretty small to me- maybe bobcat or fox ? I’m just not sure and don’t want to mislead you ......

I appreciate that! @Shellseeker @Harry Pristis Do you guys know what it could be? Or if someone else might know?

Nice looking tooth Daniel. By the looks of your hands, you were in the water for a bit.

• Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Nice looking tooth Daniel. By the looks of your hands, you were in the water for a bit.

I noticed that, too. He was really looking for that whole meg! :BigSmile:

• Enjoyed 2

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

3 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Really not that long, only… 7 hours or so 

1 minute ago, Fin Lover said:

I noticed that, too. He was really looking for that whole meg! :BigSmile:

After 7 hours, I found a half. A tiny half. :DOH: 

Edited by Meganeura

36 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

After 7 hours, I found a half. A tiny half. :DOH: 

Sorry!  :( You did just say that your hunts on the Peace are usually disappointing, and I guess this is close enough to being the Peace.

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

Just now, Fin Lover said:

Sorry!  :( You did just say that your hunts on the Peace are usually disappointing, and I guess this is close enough to being the Peace.

Way too true. My good finds today were a dolphin tooth, a mastodon tooth fragment, 2 thresher shark teeth (Never found them before, so they actually are neat) and then whatever the tooth above is. And the half a Meg. From 7 hours of digging. Oh! And I broke my shovel too. :heartylaugh:

• Enjoyed 1

• Meganeura changed the title to Peace River Carnivorous Mammal tooth ID?