An extremely rare eurypterid from the classic and closed Swatara Gap locality

Dean Ruocco

Hello everyone!

Today I acquired a specimen that is of a rarity that's nearly unparalleled. The specimen in question is the cuticle of a Eurypterid from the famous, classic, and closed Ordovician locality at Swatara Gap. I believe it is undescribed and I can tell its a eurypterid for sure by the scaling pattern on the cuticle.  Eurypterids aren't unheard of at Swatara Gap but I have never seen a specimen or even known about a specimen other then the one I have. They are extremely rare and were probably over looked by collectors due to not knowing what they were. I acquired the eurypterid from a close friend, Kerry Matt. Kerry collected it over 40 years ago, after a talking to him about it (he knows I'm obsessed with these things lol!) we worked out a trade!! The eurypterid itself is most likely closely related to the genera Echinognathus and Megalograptus. This specimen is just breath taking and so exciting to me. It might be my favorite specimen in my collection!!!

293984909_587669706106103_23486662556404130_n.jpg

293511692_126939410037931_8467206025439774226_n.jpg

293857611_1114187186181781_4041183588668163385_n.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

For the un-initiated/experienced, which part of the Eurypterid is this? Regardless - that's an incredibly cool piece to have in your collection!

• Enjoyed 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

21 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

For the un-initiated/experienced, which part of the Eurypterid is this? Regardless - that's an incredibly cool piece to have in your collection!

Thanks!! I am not sure, It is likely a piece of a molted segment. 

• Thank You 1

On the top picture, could the edge on the left be Chelicera from one side?

• Enjoyed 1

Neat find!

I was not aware that eurypterid material had been found there.

• Enjoyed 1

7 hours ago, fossilcrazy said:

On the top picture, could the edge on the left be Chelicera from one side?

I don’t think so, it looks like the cuticle might have gotten torn or something. 

2 hours ago, RCFossils said:

Neat find!

I was not aware that eurypterid material had been found there.

Thank you, Eurypterids we’re one of the most rare organisms at that locality and I’ve always wanted one!!