La Salle County Brachiopod Unknown

minnbuckeye

Here is a brachiopod that I am completely lacking a guess on its identity. The specimen is from the Bond Formation, LaSalle Limestone, Pennsylvanian, found in LaSalle County, Illinois. It is tiny for the formation's other brachiopods.

2022-07-019.thumb.jpg.f9af0294f901ea2747030f64a587dd76.jpg

Edited by minnbuckeye

• minnbuckeye changed the title to La Salle County Brachiopod Unknown

Based on: inflated nature, wide hinge line, strong sulcus, weak radial ornamentation, and moderate growth lines, I would call this one of the species of Quadrochonetes.  But that genus is only known from a little later than the Lasalle LS time (middle Missourian) and the overall shape of it might suggest more of a Chonetinella.   The more I stare at the materials developed by the Dallas Paleo Society, the more I lean to Chonetinella.  Both C. flemingi and C. papilioniformis are from the proper age and look similar to yours.  I would have to study the details separating those two more to decide between them.

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

@ClearLake Thanks for the research!! I couldn't find anything that was similar. Your suggestion looks like a winner!! I wish I had magnification so it could be exposed better.

• Thank You 1

Based on @ClearLake's super informative post, I have sourced the publishing papers of one two species mentioned - I cannot seem to find anything online regarding Chonetinella papilioniformis.

From PENNSYLVANIAN BRACHIOPODS OF OHIO by Myron T. Sturgeon and Richard D. Hoar | (core.ac.uk)

image.png.ad32cbd87cf2d5088d320a2ca144172b.png

Isaac

• Thank You 1

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

See Chonetina papilioniformis 4a - 4f in plate 55.
Newell, N. D. (1934). Some Mid-Pennsylvanian Invertebrates from Kansas and Oklahoma: I. Fusulinidae, Brachiopoda. Journal of Paleontology, 8(4), 422–432. http://www.jstor.org/stable/1298131

https://www.jstor.org/stable/1298131?read-now=1&refreqid=excelsior%3Aca1f206ddc8295fbdb79e611f8666add&seq=13#page_scan_tab_contents

02E2E3AB-F68F-4D24-842A-95BE9450BC9F.jpeg

141C5277-9EB3-4171-9AD7-2C69A22B9136.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

19 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:
See Chonetinella papilioniformis 4a - 4f in plate 55.
Newell, N. D. (1934). Some Mid-Pennsylvanian Invertebrates from Kansas and Oklahoma: I. Fusulinidae, Brachiopoda. Journal of Paleontology, 8(4), 422–432. http://www.jstor.org/stable/1298131

https://www.jstor.org/stable/1298131?read-now=1&refreqid=excelsior%3Aca1f206ddc8295fbdb79e611f8666add&seq=13#page_scan_tab_contents

02E2E3AB-F68F-4D24-842A-95BE9450BC9F.jpeg

141C5277-9EB3-4171-9AD7-2C69A22B9136.jpeg

I'm a little confused. image.png.98bede87a661e6764f608e916aec3372.png

Newell referred to it as Chonetes papilioniformis - is this just an archaic form of it?

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

And then he even refers to it as  image.png.be8c9f21e0e7487c389f30addfd02384.png

Very confusing...

2 minutes ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

And then he even refers to it as  image.png.be8c9f21e0e7487c389f30addfd02384.png

Very confusing...

I should have said Chonetina.

I think that there are several very similar generic names associated with this species; I have not figured out which one is most accepted.

• Thank You 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I found the divergence of the walls of the fold to be around 47deg:

image.png.652532ebae59557292138c08aecddc6e.png

image.thumb.png.b5c2206057fce804966f7b187608eb49.png

Given 1.00 is 5mm, the average spacing of the radial lirae is (5 * 0.4775)mm, or 2.3875mm. 

This is a discarded measurement not to be used - see below post

image.thumb.png.b5a1af9d298da5506c99418e1193d77e.png

Given 0.50 is 5mm, thus 1.00 is 10mm, then the length of the specimen is 7.8mm, and the width is 10mm.

Length to width ratio = 1 : 1.282

Edited by IsaacTheFossilMan

Just now, DPS Ammonite said:

I should have said Chonetina.

I think that there are several very similar generic names associated with this species; I have not figured out which one is most accepted.

Neither, I've been looking all over.

Just now, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

image.thumb.png.b5c2206057fce804966f7b187608eb49.png

Given 1.00 is 5mm, the average spacing of the radial lirae is (5 * 0.4775)mm, or 2.3875mm. 

I've decided I can't see the specimen well enough to define the radial lirae, so ignore this measurement. i would need to see under a microscope.

Finding my diagnoses from The Superfamily Chonetoidea : catalogue of genera and species - Persée (persee.fr)

Looking at the diagnosis of Newell, N. D. (1934):

C. papilioniformis: 

• the expected divergence of the walls from the beak is 34deg
  • length ~5.6mm
  • width ~9.5mm
  • L:W "in mature specimen does not range far from" 1 : 1.6

Looking at the diagnosis of Dunbar, C.O., Condra, G.E. (1932):

C. flemingi: 

• the expected divergence of the walls from the beak is 25-30deg
  • length (calculated from ratio) ~8.4mm
  • width ~14mm
  • L:W "varying but more often less than" 1 : 1.7

The proportions of this specimen seem to not fit either of these - the divergence is waaay too high, and the l:w way too low. 

I'll try looking at other Chonetoidea (with distinct preference for the aforementioned genera).

C. flemingi var. alata: 

• the expected divergence of the walls from the beak is 60deg (this is stated as "below the hinge-line")
  • length ~11mm
  • width ~22mm
  • L:W 1 : 2

C. flemingi var. plebeia: 

• described as a smaller variant of C. flemingi, it is described as having sometimes rounded cardinal extremities 
  • length ~7mm
  • width ~12mm
  • L:W 1 : 1.714

C. flemingi var. crassiradiata: 

• less strongly bilobed as other C. flemingi variants
  • length ~8mm
  • width ~15mm
  • L:W 1 : 1.875

Before I go further, it is worth noting that most of these species and subspecies are diagnosed with their rib count (which @minnbuckeye is going to have the unfortunate job of counting), density of radial lirae (note "crassiradiata" means "dense radii") and cardinal spine count. Without a magnifier, it is unlikely that we will be able to get a more precise ID. :shrug::SadSmile:

After your input, I now know why I couldn't ID. Never realized such measurements were needed. Your time is appreciated!!!

• Enjoyed 1

1 minute ago, minnbuckeye said:

After your input, I now know why I couldn't ID. Never realized such measurements were needed. Your time is appreciated!!!

No worries! I have a feeling we both learnt the same amount from this - I've never really fully immersed myself in brachiopod ID until today!