Flake on edge of specimen; how to stabilize?

casadelshawn

Another recent acquisition; a beetle of some flavor from Colorado. Good looking piece, both pos/neg are there, but it looks like something flaked off during prep/collection and was put back on. Can anyone tell from these photos if the annotated crack looks stable, or if not, what should I use to shore it up? It won't be handled on a regular basis, but I want to make sure it's not going to fall off on its own. Sorry about the varying lighting; one photo is from the vendor's site, the other was self-shot. I assure you that they're the same specimen.

The vendor has agreed to make things right if it can't be stabilized, so at least there's that.

Any suggestions/info that can be gained from these photos?

image5.jpeg

213360-14.jpeg

It’s impossible to tell if a crack is stable from a photo but this one is an easy one to address. You can drop a small (very small) amount of thin cyanoacrylate into the crack and let it soak in. Don’t use a lot or it will run out of the crack onto the face of the block.

You only need a couple of drops.

• I Agree 1

Kind of figured it'd be CA, but wanted to make sure before I started altering things. Thanks for the heads up!