broken Cretaceous shark tooth

debivort

Sadly, this tooth was broken in several places when I found it at the foot of a Cretaceous fossil cliff on the coast of Portugal. I imagine a precise ID is impossible, but am grateful for any taxonomic information that can be inferred. Red asterisks mark a doublet of bumps in the middle of the root. 

509584652_ScreenShot2022-07-18at4_54_45PM.thumb.png.b567f8789813ae3e807d30a5b23d47ab.png

I could very well be wrong but it looks like a sand tiger shark tooth to me. But I’m sure the others will be on soon to give you a positive I.d.

• Thank You 1

Very partial teeth are usually difficult to ID, so in some cases you have be comfortable not knowing. The only thing I can say with confidence is it's Lamniform.

My first thought was Scapanorhynchus, but I don't see a clear nutrient groove, and the striations at the crown foot don't extend very far - the enamel is otherwise glass smooth. These also make me doubt that it's sand tiger. One possibility is Leptostyrax, since the ridges are more prominent on the labial face than the lingual face. 

2015295608_ScreenShot2022-07-19at11_27_29PM.png.6fa0164fa0d9b1f4538d601a0ec7f1c4.png

^ Welton & Farish 1993

• I found this Informative 3

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

8 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

I don't see a clear nutrient groove, and the striations at the crown foot don't extend very far - the enamel is otherwise glass smooth

What is preventing this tooth from being a posterior Ginsu? I have a few teeth like it that I now realize I may have wrongly assigned

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

3 hours ago, Jared C said:

What is preventing this tooth from being a posterior Ginsu? I have a few teeth like it that I now realize I may have wrongly assigned

Off the bat, the enamel ridges preclude ginsu since their crowns are completely smooth. The general shape also doesn't match. Ginsu posteriors have crowns which aren't so erect, they're oriented posteriorly - a common feature in many sharks, it helps prevent food from escaping!

192868976_ScreenShot2022-07-20at11_34_30AM.thumb.png.0fc19b0799463a6d67c90d998ed5b4d2.png

2051470271_ScreenShot2022-07-20at11_34_12AM.thumb.png.09697bb79cf2a9fbc0e97f2b0959a445.png

^ Bourdon & Everhart (2011)

1 hour ago, jonnyquest said:

If you didn't say cretaceous cliff I'd be inclined to say possible hemipristis.

For comparison, a lower hemi:

Hemi lowers don't have ridged enamel, have a nutrient groove, a high lingual root protuberance, and a broader crown base, to name a few features.

IMG_2392.thumb.jpg.2aa68659eaa8335f3f32b5f345778ca8.jpgIMG_2393.thumb.jpg.007a98f04987885d922a4232108ca203.jpgIMG_2394.thumb.jpg.862a96ac790bef09ab034aad4aa1c8d8.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

20 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

Very partial teeth are usually difficult to ID, so in some cases you have be comfortable not knowing. The only thing I can say with confidence is it's Lamniform.

My first thought was Scapanorhynchus, but I don't see a clear nutrient groove, and the striations at the crown foot don't extend very far - the enamel is otherwise glass smooth. These also make me doubt that it's sand tiger. One possibility is Leptostyrax, since the ridges are more prominent on the labial face than the lingual face. 

As a professional (non-paleo) biologist IRL, I am comfortable with not knowing, as long as I know as much as I can. So thank you for the thoughtful analysis! Glass smooth is really the right description - I was amazed at the surface quality when I first cleaned it up. Is the "double bump" in the root diagnostic? I see it in some photos labeled Leptostyrax but not others. 

• Enjoyed 1

23 hours ago, debivort said:

As a professional (non-paleo) biologist IRL, I am comfortable with not knowing, as long as I know as much as I can. So thank you for the thoughtful analysis! Glass smooth is really the right description - I was amazed at the surface quality when I first cleaned it up. Is the "double bump" in the root diagnostic? I see it in some photos labeled Leptostyrax but not others. 

I think the double bump you're referring to is just a product of the root lobes, I wouldn't call it diagnostic for Leptostyrax.

The variability you notice may be due to position - the "V" of the lobes seems to go deeper into the root in some positions compared to others.

IMG_1031.thumb.jpeg.c7265a4e0d1ae96841c1a06b1e36dddb.jpeg

^ Welton & Farish 1993

• I found this Informative 1