Dried up North Sulfur River

Creek - Don

Last week I visited NSR first time since last year.  It was brutually hot with 110  degrees on the river bed.    There were no flowing water at all and most vegetation were turning brown. Also no signs of animals due to a drought.  I managed to find piece of mosasaur vert though.   Not worth visiting again until late fall or when it rains again. 

4364836_20220716_1550541.jpg

2020179258_20220716_1550581.jpg

221371392_20220716_1551111.jpg

602319577_20220716_1551291.jpg

• Enjoyed 11

Indeed! Lovely terminal caudal mosasaur vertebra! :default_clap2:

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

NIce!

Did the dried-up river at least make fossil hunting easier? Was there stuff in the riverbed that would have been inaccessible otherwise?

6 hours ago, Neanderthal Shaman said:

NIce!

Did the dried-up river at least make fossil hunting easier? Was there stuff in the riverbed that would have been inaccessible otherwise?

I say yes.  You can just about access anything on the riverbed that was not visible before, however, more traffic means slim picking.  

The good and the bad.  Good access, bad drought.  It's getting a bit scary here in Texas. Hot is one thing, but drought is the worst.

And be extra cautious in the few streams with water. Still waters are notorious for bad algae and disease.  If you have to wade thru them then wash up quickly when you get home.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1