Chance to buy 5 Orthoceras

expatspain

An acquaintance has offered these 5. Worth the money or are there better for same outlay? His photos of 3 elongated and 2 egg shaped.

20220623_123205 (2).jpg

20220623_123235 (2).jpg

20220623_123412 (2).jpg

20220624_195731 (2).jpg

20220624_195953 (2).jpg

I have removed mention of the price as that is not permitted on the forum. 

These are fairly typical of the Moroccan "Orthoceras," although that is not their correct identification. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Fairly common too. It's all about if you like them or don't like them. I see nothing wrong with them that says you shouldn't if you like them.

Worth is not something we can discuss but the internet shows many things if you search for it.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

*Frank*

Being new to this I apologise for breaking a forum rule.

I guess then from the @Kane reply, orthoceras is a general description. What is the correct description, and what is the best reference for attributing then correctly?

1 hour ago, expatspain said:

Being new to this I apologise for breaking a forum rule.

I guess then from the @Kane reply, orthoceras is a general description. What is the correct description, and what is the best reference for attributing then correctly?

See my latest update here :

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/93823-fossil-shops-erfoud-morocco/page/4/&tab=comments#comment-1357376

• I found this Informative 7

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It's your purchase so ultimately up to you and depends on price, but these are very common so I think you can easily find better if you want. I.e. ones that are more complete or with better-preserved chambers. I just googled "morocco polished orthoceras" and I already see many that I think are "better". I personally still wouldn't buy any of them just because I detest anything that destroys/alters the natural state of a fossil, including such heavy polishing (with a few exceptions). But that is more a matter of personal preference. These can still be nice display pieces.

Edited by Mochaccino

I had one. Used it as a paper weight. They are normally quite hurried in the polishing process. The objective is to make money, not to do the best job possible.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

All I can say is don't overpay..... compared to the price of some retailers, you'd cry if you knew the wholesale cost! I saw some in a retail shop last night, on the shelf for 10x my cost price. Some retail prices are very reasonable too.

While some are really nice specimens, they're not a high value fossil. 

20220624_145017.jpg

20220611_011621.jpg