marcltetreault

Hi everyone, I am going to go with a sure thing as I need I pick me up.   I found this at Shark River NJ. I can’t find anything the resembles it in any of the Fossil Sheets available from the area on the web.  It has tiny serrations 

Thanks as always for your help:Smiling:

BF3F1DEC-EC52-4B4E-ABC4-78707EEB3170.jpeg

DE37EB01-0FAE-491B-92E9-D025E37A9C49.jpeg

I believe that Shark River is one of the few if not only one that has a Miocene deposit present. The tooth appears to be that of one of the Requiem sharks. They include the Bull, dusky, and copper sharks as well as a few others that have similar shaped teeth. I don't  see enough there to give a exact species ID. Atleast this time you definitely found an actual fossil!:)

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, marcltetreault said:

I just went though all the species found in this article https://spo.nmfs.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/legacy-pdfs/tr153.pdf and the closest to it is the Bull Shark but it does not match exactly. The Bull’s tooth has more hook to it.  

That's what makes identification of requiem sharks quite difficult. There are many species that have similar looking teeth plain and simple. But then add to the fact that some species upper teeth look like another species lower teeth and vice versa. Even our most seasoned experts here on the forum will very seldom give a 100% guaranteed ID when it comes to these teeth.

Now go out and find some more!:Smiling:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

2 hours ago, marcltetreault said:

The Bull’s tooth has more hook to it.  

Also keep in mind that the shape of a tooth can depend heavily on its position in the mouth. Not all bull shark teeth are hooked. You can search for a species "dentition" to see example teeth from all positions. Eg. here's the dentition for bull sharks, which does show some teeth that are reasonably close to yours: https://www.researchgate.net/figure/A-General-features-of-bull-shark-dentition-showing-B-upper-and-lower-jaws-upper_fig5_323181155 

• I Agree 1

Hard to say due to the condition. If that is a notch present on the distal edge,  I'd say dusky (C. obscurus) or Caribbean reef (C. perezii) are the likely suspects. If it is really thin in cross-section, sandbar shark (C. plumbeus) is also possible.  Or maybe a bull.   Best go with Carcharhinus sp

Edited by hemipristis
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Honestly, here in Florida, where it's all Miocene and more recent, I've never tried to specify between Carcharhinus - I always leave them as Carcharhinus Sp. With how worn they can get by the river, and the very minute differences... it seems far too difficult on an individual tooth basis.

Fossils? I dig it. :meg: