Actinoceras Scuff Repair

Tales From the Shale

I was prepping this Actinoceras out of limestone, and accidentally must have hit the phragmocone a few times too many when removing the matrix. Is there any way to try to minimize or fix the white scuff marks? I used a PA6-GF33 Dremel Engraver. It wasn't touchless( I know I probably should acquire air tools) so I scratched the specimen. It was almost entirely covered save for a tiny sliver. I put alot of hours into it and would like it to look the best I can. Any advice helps.

Its from the Carter's Limestone from Nashville. Approx 438 mya Ordovician

Snapchat-1297335851.jpg

Snapchat-240364366.jpg

Topic moved to Fossil Preparation.

You won’t be able to undo the dings, but you can mask them somewhat using something like mineral oil, beeswax (Rember), or even Dubbin. See if a bit of “Nasenfett” works (that is the oil from your skin on the side of your nose — don’t laugh as this has been done in prep before!). If you had an air abrader, you could “buff out” some of the scratches. 

If you think you’ll be doing a lot more prep in the future, air tools are the way to go. They are much faster with better control. I started on a Dremel just like you, and some of our very best preparators here even began with steak knives. Until you do get air tools, I would recommend using a pin vise for when you get close to the specimen. We have members who have done incredible work just using those, but it is truly a game of patience.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Okay thank you, I gotta get ahold on some air tools, I'm gonna try to buff it out as I put alot of time into this, about 9ish hours.

I still think you should try the "oil" route first just to see how it will look. Even buffing with air abrasion might not work a miracle (if one is not careful, it could even make those dings look bigger!). As you get more into prep, you'll find 9 hours is not all that long. I've had a few preps that ran 150 hours total. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I’m with @Kane try the oil. His nose skin oil actually works really well, I’ve done it myself in the past.

If prepping is your plan, I hope you are prepared for some substantial expenses. There’s another thread discussing this very thing right now. It’s expensive to do it right and if you try to go cheap, you just wind up throwing more money at it later. 

It ain’t cheap but it’s worth it if you love it. 

I do indeed enjoy this very much. Even though it doesn't look like it, this isn't my first time prepping. I did some Eocene vertebrae awhile back. But this hard limestone makes it really difficult for me to distinguish fossil from matrix. But I'll try the oil, because it kinda looks like I threw this into a blender