Actinoceras impression? Found it amongst landscape stones so I don’t know the origin.

MWilder

What do you think?

I was digging in a pile of stones that were dumped in a low drainage area behind a business. Consequently I don’t know the origin, but I presume they are from the Missouri region. There were a lot of coral and clam fossils in the pile.

The rock pictured has an imprint that looks like some sort of annelid. At first I thought crinoid, but I’ve never seen a  crinoid impression like this.

D4C2FACD-8243-4BBD-AC0A-5DC5DF446BC1.jpeg

7A4E957F-D3B4-4482-A178-C41A4E0A27FA.jpeg

16731E21-89D4-4004-8AC7-83279A9E1EF9.jpeg

BCF0894B-846E-4CE0-8A65-9BFBC4A4E9F1.jpeg

I think it's gonna be hard to decipher anything much out of this since it's pretty indistinct and I'm not seeing anything obvious which would point to Actinoceras other than the fact that it has a relatively straight form. I sorta doubt it, to be quite honest, but I wouldn't know what to suggest as an alternative either.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thanks Ludwigia.
I have several that I would like to post and ask for feedback. Since I’m pretty green, I suspect I will get the same feedback about a few others as well, but it’s part of the learning process!
 Maybe I’ll crack it open just to see what’s inside. Do you have a suggestion for a safe way of opening it up?

58 minutes ago, MWilder said:

Thanks Ludwigia.
I have several that I would like to post and ask for feedback. Since I’m pretty green, I suspect I will get the same feedback about a few others as well, but it’s part of the learning process!
 Maybe I’ll crack it open just to see what’s inside. Do you have a suggestion for a safe way of opening it up?

We live and learn, right? So keep on posting. As far as a "safe" method is concerned, it's actually just a plain matter of luck in such a situation. I wouldn't expect that you would find much with this one, but it's worth a try. You can either place it on a hard surface and give it a good whack with a club hammer, which would probably result in it breaking into a number of pieces along any weak points, or you could split it down the middle using a good flat chisel and a club hammer. Six of one and half dozen of the other :)

• Thank You 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/