Devonian Hamilton trip

Stingray

Hi everyone,

Just figured I would post a quick trip report for cole hill rd NY. I set out about 9am on Sunday about 80 degrees F , I brought plenty of water knowing it was supposed to be 97 that day. Found my spot around 10:30 or so parked my truck , started scanning the shale pit. Within 5 minutes I was finding a lot more than I expected. Kicked around about an hour found some shade picked at some shale slabs I had collected. I’m used to hot and humid weather actually I prefer it over the alternative any day. So noticed I’m starting to sweat better head over to the truck get some water. I walked out of the shade and it was like walking into a blast furnace:DOH: looked at the temp in the truck 114F ok I’m done for today. However it was a great day these didn’t even need cleaning I still have a lot more to split enjoy.

96AA6954-69B0-47F9-919D-C379AAC1276A.jpeg

A3546429-EC1D-4578-BC57-13BF0DCF7724.jpeg

234B5000-F0B1-4ED5-A9BF-759CF4C1D1BE.jpeg

AD33DFAD-53ED-4023-8500-92BD387B8F80.jpeg

5C3EF318-ECBF-4DF8-B88D-49838BD93CC8.jpeg

• Enjoyed 11

Not a bad haul despite the heat. :)

This is my favorite of your finds. Some type of Spiriferid?

3 hours ago, Stingray said:

A3546429-EC1D-4578-BC57-13BF0DCF7724.jpeg

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Congratulations. Looks like many of your finds were from the Mottville Member of the Oaktacreek Formation which lies below the Skaneateles Delphi Member. Nice collection of brachiopods and bivalves.

1 hour ago, FossilNerd said:

Not a bad haul despite the heat. :)

This is my favorite of your finds. Some type of Spiriferid?

Yes I believe they are Mucrosprifer muconatus but others may correctly identify them as another.

• Enjoyed 1

Great finds! Although I thought that Cole Hill was no longer open to the public? Do you need special permission to get access there?

Misha,

No signs up no road blockage not sure where you were exactly , so maybe the site you were at is now closed. Nobody bothered me or asked me to leave. I’m not saying it’s ok but usually if someone doesn’t want you on property , they put up a no trespassing sign or block the entrance alls fair in love and fossil collecting  :fingerscrossed:

• I found this Informative 1