Dinosaur bone?

Artv

Hello all, 

Recently on a trip to Alberta I received this in a museum.  It was labelled as a dinosaur bone, but not further information.  Would anyone be able to provide a clearer picture?  Thanks!

fossil.jpg

43 minutes ago, Artv said:

Would anyone be able to provide a clearer picture? 

We could try and provide a clearer picture of what you have, but you will need to provide better pictures for us.

All I can see in your one provided picture is what appears to be a thick coating on the specimen and glare from the glass table. I THINK that I can see bone texture if I zoom in (top middle).  :unsure:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Hello again, 

Sorry for the poor quality picture.  The piece was wet, not thickly coated.  

I'm attaching three other pictures, with a pencil included for size reference; two of the 'front' and one of the 'back'.  

Fossil1.jpg

fossil2.jpg

fossil3.jpg

You might compare with vertebrae belonging to Champsosaurs...not quite dinosaurs but still pretty neat creatures.

• I Agree 1

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Hello again, 

Thanks for the answers.  I have two more questions.  

1. I have another piece; three pictures attached with pencil for size reference.  One side appears to have a bit of bone fragment in the center, but the same fragment is not visible on the other side; rather, it has a very different appearance.  Any ideas? 

2. For preservation / coating.  Some websites suggest applying several coats of a 50/50 mixture of white Elmers glue and water.  Others suggest clear coat (varnish?).  What are your suggestions? fossil4.thumb.jpg.80bfbc1d931eed2e1b092396caeca9d7.jpg

fossil5.jpg

fossil6.jpg

Might be turtle.  I don't recommend using either to stabilize your bones.  Consolidants like Paraloid B72, Vinac (PVA), Butvar B76 are are a much better choice and most are available online. A 50 /50 ratio with acetone is a good start.

• I Agree 1

Agreed with Troodon, Butvar and Paraloid are a palaeontologist's best friend - and they can be removed by washing in acetone again.

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

10 hours ago, Artv said:

2. For preservation / coating.  Some websites suggest applying several coats of a 50/50 mixture of white Elmers glue and water.  Others suggest clear coat (varnish?).  What are your suggestions? 

I really we could delete that garbage from every website that still lists it.  Glue and varnish were the consolidates of choice 100+ years ago.   As Troodon posted, there are much better choices available today.  Those old methods will lead to yellowing, cracking, shrinking, failing, and they are mostly permanent.  

Edited by hadrosauridae

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I'm having trouble finding Paraloid B72 and Butvar B76 online from anywhere in the U.S.  I've found a few international sellers, but they mention possible extra fees to export it (but not the cost of the fees).

Edited by Fin Lover
Removed extra space between letters

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

4 hours ago, Fin Lover said:

I'm having trouble finding Paraloid B72 and Butvar B76 online from anywhere in the U.S.  I've found a few international sellers, but they mention possible extra fees to export it (but not the cost of the fees).

Have you tried talasonline

https://www.talasonline.com/Butvar-Resin

37 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Have you tried talasonline

https://www.talasonline.com/Butvar-Resin

Thank you, that was the only place I'd seen it, but you have to buy a minimum of a pound. Based on the fact that I only have some shark teeth to do (and I believe I only need to do the root if the enamel is still intact on the crown, right?), I'm guessing that will last me forever.  Or maybe not...brand new to this.

14 minutes ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

Kremer pigments appears to have paraloid  B-72 in stock. https://shop.kremerpigments.com/us/shop/mediums-binders-glues/67400-paraloid-b-72.html

Thank you! I see that they have smaller quantities, which is probably what I will start with.  Etsy has B-90, but I don't know the difference.

Thank you both!

Edited by Fin Lover

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

12 minutes ago, Fin Lover said:

Thank you, that was the only place I'd seen it, but you have to buy a minimum of a pound. Based on the fact that I only have some shark teeth to do (and I believe I only need to do the root if the enamel is still intact on the crown, right?), I'm guessing that will last me forever.  Or maybe not...brand new to this.

Thank you! I see that they have smaller quantities, which is probably what I will start with.  Etsy has B-90, but I don't know the difference.

Thank you both!

Not familiar with B90 but would not recommend it if others are available.   I've never used consilidants on shark teeth unless their are problem with the tooth.

Ok, thank you!

Fin Lover