Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Mochaccino

Hello,

 

I was wondering if these chinese Keichosaurus looked real? How much reconstruction/restoration if any, and how is their condition? Both slabs are about 9 inches long. First looks ok to me, second's body looks a bit weird. Thank you!

 

1.

3B022325-3367-411C-A201-BAC840B6E98A.thumb.jpeg.cf16a046e0c45049d1b80d15951562b2.jpeg3351328B-595A-44D3-A506-1F8C03E5C456.thumb.jpeg.5bb2fad18f24781f321097975e718fe4.jpegDC897FAA-11D1-4AE3-B746-29635C1C7D81.thumb.jpeg.23e44ec88e8e215d2011c5f5cfc7f433.jpeg

 

2.

AF34D74D-C2E7-4439-B958-B3C63AC60951.thumb.jpeg.36182207930bc56a74a0e358b80dbfdb.jpegA3412AA9-F457-4587-9D71-33AA4B7E9182.thumb.jpeg.a742e58414af8bff6331fc0793496f85.jpeg06CE772E-67A7-45DE-9597-A063618786C8.thumb.jpeg.1428f1fc559d237103073aaa8d48beae.jpeg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossildude19

Better pictures are needed, but the second one looks awful, to me.

If the body is real, it has been wire brushed into something ridiculous looking.

The first one looks like it may have skull issues, but again, better pictures would be needed.

  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
JBkansas

The second one appears to have paint around the abdomen/thorax. The head of the first one looks odd and the slabs don't match at the crack, could be painted or composite, more pictures needed.

  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Mochaccino
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Better pictures are needed, but the second one looks awful, to me.

If the body is real, it has been wire brushed into something ridiculous looking.

The first one looks like it may have skull issues, but again, better pictures would be needed.

 

8 minutes ago, JBkansas said:

The second one appears to have paint around the abdomen/thorax. The head of the first one looks odd and the slabs don't match at the crack, could be painted or composite, more pictures needed.


Thank you, I figured the second was off. I asked for a close-up of the first's skull, what do you think? Hard for me to tell but there are a bunch of criss-crossing lines across the skull, which is odd. Also good point on the matrix pieces not matching on either side of the crack at the neck.

 

A8EF47DE-FF9E-4810-A580-4BB24455959F.thumb.jpeg.e8e08a9b179b615aca20445bfbfdb008.jpeg


 

 

Edited by Mochaccino
Link to post
Share on other sites
Paleorunner

Seeing the second makes my guts churn, it looks terrible.
And from what I can see, the first one is decapitated from the middle of the neck up, it seems to me that there is a lot of paint there.

  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossildude19

Personally, I'd skip these.  :unsure:

  • I Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
JBkansas

There's plenty of "better" (but still poor prep) keichosaurus  out there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mochaccino
3 hours ago, Paleorunner said:

Seeing the second makes my guts churn, it looks terrible.
And from what I can see, the first one is decapitated from the middle of the neck up, it seems to me that there is a lot of paint there.

 

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Personally, I'd skip these.  :unsure:

 

2 hours ago, JBkansas said:

There's plenty of "better" (but still poor prep) keichosaurus  out there.


Looks like either definitely isn't great, and a possibility of painting/compositing is a big no for me. Thank you all for your help, I'll pass on these.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Meganeura

That second one looks like someone drew what they think a keich looks like from memory or something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mochaccino
8 hours ago, Meganeura said:

That second one looks like someone drew what they think a keich looks like from memory or something.


I agree it looks pretty bad. Let's just say I was being cautious and putting it mildly when I said its body looks "a bit weird".

  • Enjoyed 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
Jackito

I bought the first one. It was poorly packed and arrived in 4 pieces grinding on top of each other. Ughhh.

 

I think it has parts that are real but it's heavily painted. The price was about the lowest I've seen these sell for. I'm bummed about it breaking but I'll probably glue it back together and keep it.

 

Would a dental x-ray show how much is real vs painted?

IMG_20220805_195942008.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mochaccino
19 hours ago, Jackito said:

I bought the first one. It was poorly packed and arrived in 4 pieces grinding on top of each other. Ughhh.

 

I think it has parts that are real but it's heavily painted. The price was about the lowest I've seen these sell for. I'm bummed about it breaking but I'll probably glue it back together and keep it.

 

Would a dental x-ray show how much is real vs painted?

IMG_20220805_195942008.jpg

 

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that...if you mind, you could try to file for damaged item and try to have it returned. If you do want to keep it perhaps UV light/blacklight would reveal differences in painted/reconstructed regions? Though I think it depends on the exact material used.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Crusty_Crab
On 8/5/2022 at 6:05 PM, Jackito said:

I bought the first one. It was poorly packed and arrived in 4 pieces grinding on top of each other. Ughhh.

 

I think it has parts that are real but it's heavily painted. The price was about the lowest I've seen these sell for. I'm bummed about it breaking but I'll probably glue it back together and keep it.

 

Would a dental x-ray show how much is real vs painted?

IMG_20220805_195942008.jpg

Could you take a picture of the cross section of all of the pieces where they were broken? If you have a clip on macro lens (or a microscope for that matter), that would be awesome. I'm very curious what a cross section of the bone segments look like. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
snolly50

A 10X loupe will quickly reveal painted areas. No one is precise enough to paint those small bones without "going outside the lines" to some extent.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...