Grayson County creek - July 25th

BudB

I've been itching to get out hunting, but it's been over 100 degrees every day, and everything is really dried out. I noticed though that, unlike my part of Texas, Grayson County actually got some rain the last couple of weeks. I wasn't sure if it was enough to expose much new stuff, but I decided to take a day and go look in one of my favorite spots there. I got up very early yesterday and was in the creek by 7:30 am. I started hiking out of the creek before 11:30. It was getting pretty hot by then, plus I'd had my quota of crawling on my knees for the day. I got the impression that the rain didn't get over the gravel bars enough to expose much new stuff, but I still managed to find some good teeth. You don't find big teeth when the gravel bars are this picked over, but if you're looking close enough to see them, there are still some beautiful smaller teeth to be found, and so it was on this day.

Some in situ photos. The tooth in that last photo is half under a rock, but if you look closely, it's there.

large.gra02301.jpg.dd317f681c7116f8419f8

large.gra02302.jpg.6b93e8bec65ee20688ebc

large.gra02303.jpg.81e5ee96c40aedd7dbd74

Edited by BudB
  • Enjoyed 2

Here is what I brought home. Sure enough, only one large tooth, but some very nice smaller ones. There was only one very small Ptychodus tooth today.

large.gra02304.jpg.50b051a596c9ec6bc544e

• Enjoyed 3

Here is that big tooth, my favorite find of the day. It's the tooth in that first in situ photo. It was so weathered I almost didn't spot it, and even after washing, was still pretty faded. A soak in some paraloid solution has brought back quite a bit of the color though. I'm thinking I'm going to put this one in one of my coin display holders.

large.gra02305.jpg.6ddec7245875abe6ca157

Edited by BudB
  • Enjoyed 2

And, as so often happens on these Grayson County trips, I found a piece I can't identify. Here are photos of both sides of it, plus a side view of it in my hand. It reminds me of the pycnodus fish mouth plate I found a couple of trips ago, but unlike that piece, this one is very thin and has the same distinctive pattern on both sides. Does anyone recognize it?

large.gra02321.jpg.4a366657032071d8514e2

large.gra02323.jpg.2ff0a71f62b2e254d8f86

large.gra02324.jpg.b4c1cb956175b8941922c

Edited by BudB
  • Enjoyed 2

9 hours ago, BudB said:

And, as so often happens on these Grayson County trips, I found a piece I can't identify. Here are photos of both sides of it, plus a side view of it in my hand. It reminds me of the pycnodus fish mouth plate I found a couple of trips ago, but unlike that piece, this one is very thin and has the same distinctive pattern on both sides. Does anyone recognize it?

These are the tiny bones found in a large fish fin. This picture is from here- http://www.northtexasfossils.com/

CB04FF71-736B-4289-A856-05ADE9E7770D.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

The segmented appearance of your unidentified bit suggests a piece of the tail from Cimolichthys.  Dave 

• I found this Informative 1

9 hours ago, Al Dente said:

These are the tiny bones found in a large fish fin. This picture is from here- http://www.northtexasfossils.com/

7 hours ago, Castle Rock said:

The segmented appearance of your unidentified bit suggests a piece of the tail from Cimolichthys.  Dave 

Thank you. It does look like it could be a very small section of fish tail or fin. I wish I had a larger piece.

On 7/26/2022 at 5:37 PM, BudB said:

Here is that big tooth, my favorite find of the day. It's the tooth in that first in situ photo. It was so weathered I almost didn't spot it, and even after washing, was still pretty faded. A soak in some paraloid solution has brought back quite a bit of the color though. I'm thinking I'm going to put this one in one of my coin display holders.

large.gra02305.jpg.6ddec7245875abe6ca157

Nice Cretoxyrhina:meg:

• I Agree 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Not sure on the mosasaur tooth ID - hard to see clearly but the base looks weird for a mosasaur. My vote is fish

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

2 hours ago, Jared C said:

Not sure on the mosasaur tooth ID - hard to see clearly but the base looks weird for a mosasaur. My vote is fish

Not sure... The piece looks too weathered either way. Better photographs may help, but it may ultimately proof impossible to say with certainty. The tooth's stoutness initially has me thinking this could very well be reptile/mosasaur, even with a base like that. But I'm by no means certain about it...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Good trip. Big teeth are nice, but I typically enjoy the smaller teeth more personally. Especially enjoy any tooth with cusps.