Help consolidating a pelvis

NevadaHunter

Hi all, I have a mostly intact pelvic bone of a large camel species. Unfortunately, it was found just and inch or two below the surface in a quite soft sandstone that was mostly sand. As a result the side closest to the surface is in quite poor shape, especially near the obturator foramina. I have used paraloid B-72 throughout the prep to give some strength to the bone and some superglue in the larger cracks, but as I have removed most the matrix, this is quite the fragile piece. Any suggestions on how best I can proceed? I know paraloid isn’t best for heavy weight and I don’t want to paint superglue all over it-unless that’s what’s needed.  66339B7B-594A-4A6E-AD91-38FCAB65989F.thumb.jpeg.7eb8ae36ca26cdaa0fdf783caf6a2a48.jpeg

A68EAC2B-25FA-4D13-9DB8-5CDE7AA51BA6.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Typically, the weight constraints on Paraloid concerns its use as an adhesive rather than a consolidation material. I would stick with it for your consolidation. Since you mentioned cracking held together with cyanoacrylate, soaking is not a viable option as the acetone in the solution will dissolve the glue. I would suggest pouring or dropping a this solution on the specimen with multiple applications of solution. I would start with a 2.5% solution and increase the viscosity if this does not adequately harden the bone.

• I found this Informative 3