Fossil Hunting trip for All Upper Cretaceous

Slow Walker

Goal: collect all Pierre Shale formation main fossil specimens.

During my fossil hunting trips I collect a lot of different fossils but never take the time to figure out what it is exactly. Here I will record my trips and finds but more importantly try to identify what it is. This list will encourage me to not just look for the big marine reptiles but also smaller things I normally ignore. 

I understand how unrealistic this goal is but it's fun. Any feedback or suggestions are welcomed!

Specimens shown on wiki for Pierre shale. 

Marine vertebrates

Tooth http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/125074-x-fish-tooth-pierre-shale-sd/&do=findComment&comment=1361856

Tooth http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/125074-x-fish-tooth-pierre-shale-sd/

Invertebrates

Birds

Brodavis

Hesperornis

Edited by Slow Walker
  • Enjoyed 1

4 minutes ago, Slow Walker said:

This list will encourage me to not just look for the big marine reptiles but also smaller things I normally ignore. 

Wow I typically don't ignore anything I find especially smaller items.  I also take matrix back home to screen and examine under a scope.  Some pretty cool finds are micro.  Good luck and I'm sure the members here will be happy to assist you with identifications. 

• I Agree 1

are you familiar with Neal Larson et al's book on the Pierre Shale ammonites.  there is an extensive fauna list in the back of the book about 4 pages long.  

• 4 months later...

Found much fossils but not have time to get nice pictures yet. Including my first  ammonite and mosasaur flipper bone in wash out. 

20221206_224641.png

20221206_225010.png

• Enjoyed 5

• 1 month later...

Looks like I cant edit my original post to update progress. This will be my template to update from. 

Many are hard to ID but I put them where they might go. 

Birds

Brodavis 

Hesperornis

Mosasaurs

Globidens

Prognathodon

Plesiosaurs

Alzadasaurus

Dolichorhynchops

Styxosaurus

Bony fish

Apsopelix