Dallas County creek - July 27th

BudB

I made a trip to a creek in Dallas County yesterday morning. This is an Eagle Ford outcrop. I had visited this creek once before in 2020. I only found a couple of things, but one was an ammonite I was really impressed with. I had found it in the edge of the water, and wondered if this might be a better site to hunt under low water conditions. With the drought we're having right now, those low water conditions are here, so it seemed like a good time to revisit the spot. It's not a large outcrop, so I didn't worry about getting there too early. I just hunted a couple of hours, then headed home before the worst heat of the day.

The fossils aren't hard to spot in today's in situ photos.

large.dal01201.jpg.308772b06c63d00c80984

Here is what I brought home, minus one small ammonite that was soaking to aid in matrix removal.

large.dal01202.jpg.6bb3f6a6a9b1d5cde38b6

• Enjoyed 1

This ammonite with the smooth outside looks a lot like the big ammonite I found here on my first visit. I was guessing that one to be a placenticeras cumminsi.

large.dal01204.jpg.60c245bc8c66fa223eac2

These two pieces almost look like they could have come from the same ammonite. Both would have been pretty large if complete.

large.dal01206.jpg.acb6b00f816d7141b6e42

These two had very different ridges than the others. I haven't had time to try and identify them yet.

large.dal01208.jpg.30a748446bf8097eab007

I'm still working on removing the matrix from this small one.  One of the things I really like about the ammonites from this site is that they all seem to have lots of shell left. So many ammonites I find elsewhere are just rock, with no shell left at all. And to think there are this many ammonites to be found at a small site in the middle of DFW, within the Dallas city limits. You just never know until you look.

large.dal01210.jpg.e2e2e2080aec1ed002640

This piece has lots of shell too. An oyster? Does anyone recognize that pattern on the shell?

large.dal01209.jpg.54d69db9e21814ce95779

• Enjoyed 1

And then there's this. It looks like it was just a round hollow tube shaped thin shell before the matrix distorted it. Does anyone recognize it? A crustacean leg, maybe? Here are photos of both sides, plus an end view of it.

large.dal01214.jpg.1d76ebee21b7f025d1228

large.dal01215.jpg.f5dd0e88beb8f53438c30

large.dal01216.jpg.2bf8598eed8fa5b611ccd

Edited by BudB
  • Enjoyed 2

32 minutes ago, BudB said:

And then there's this. It looks like it was just a round hollow tube shaped thin shell before the matrix distorted it. Does anyone recognize it? A crustacean leg, maybe? Here are photos of both sides, plus an end view of it.

Looks like Baculites.

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Looks like Baculites.

That was my first thought. But I've never seen a baculite that was just completely hollow. It looks like if a shell that thin on the outside survived, there would be evidence of chambers left in the matrix on the inside.

Edited by BudB

Baculites living chamber I think.  That would account for the lack of chambers.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

The geology and characteristics suggest a Sciponoceras species.

• I found this Informative 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

9 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Baculites living chamber I think.  That would account for the lack of chambers.

Don

Could be. It's such a small piece. Even when I'm just finding bigger stuff, I still like to spend some time on kneepads and elbows, checking for smaller fossils. But some of those small ones can be tough to ID.

I didn't scroll to the top of the thread to catch the geology and the other fauna.  I agree completely with JohnJ.  I will say that Sciponoceras is a baculitid, so "Baculites living chamber" wasn't far off the mark.

Don

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

19 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Looks like Baculites.

Sciponoceras gracile

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

1 hour ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Sciponoceras gracile

Indeed. That matches both the look of it and the formation it came from.