I found a tooth?

stuben

just started rock/fossil hounding and i think i found something pretty good. rock has one large and one small looking tooth of some sort, one on each side. As well as another round creature of some sort. sorry i'm oblivious as to what these are. if anyone can give a suggestion? found in madison county ny-central area. Bigger tooth is approx. 1 1/2 inches across the top and 1 3/4 inches long. The smaller one is 1 1/4 inch across the top and 1 1/2 inches long.

RIMG3295.JPG

RIMG3301.JPG

RIMG3297.JPG

RIMG3299.JPG

RIMG3300.JPG

Edited by stuben

Hi, welcome to the fossil forum!

Unfortunately I'm not seeing any fossils, tooth or otherwise, there. It is something kinda interesting though. I'm not entirely sure what, but definitely not a tooth. Most likely part of the overall structure of that rock.

• I Agree 5

It's possible that these are trace fossils. There really isn't a definite indication of it though. Reworked clasts of a more calcareous sediment seems likely to me.

• I found this Informative 1

I see no enamel to indicate tooth, and no real tooth morphology.  :(

Central New York has a lot of paleozoic bedrock exposed at the surface, so not much in the way of teeth would be found there.

These could be sedimentary structures or trace fossils. Definitely not tooth, though.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

No tooth, but it does look a bit like a stromatolite. I don't know if there are any in the exposures in Madison county, though.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

thank you all for the suggestions, it is all very interesting stuff which i've looked up all your ideas. it is without doubt something very interesting going on. the big one is shaped exactly like a tooth with the indentation at the top and everything. Please send more ideas if anyone has one.

The others are correct that it is not a tooth. This post will help you see what a tooth would look like:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/118240-a-large-megalodon-in-matrix/

While yours does have a shape that resembles a tooth, there is no enamel crown, root material, etc. present.

Edited by Fin Lover
  • I Agree 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.