New piece (last?) of my prep gear

hadrosauridae

I finally found the blaster I have been looking for; a used Comco MB-1002 in decent shape.  It also came with a blast box work station, but I dont have a use for it right this moment.    I have to order a maintenance kit for some worn parts, but its functional.  It goes through media WAY faster than my Vaniman, but it works so nicely.  I dont know what size the tank valves are, and may need to order new ones as I suspect they could be too large for my media (and the reason its eating through it so fast).  

Now that I have my custom blast box, microscope, dust vac, and now this Comco, I hope I am done spending money on prepping gear for a while!  

Any comco users out there have any tips, tricks, or advice?

MB1002-1.thumb.jpg.37be90c224f0ada5b20413abe803db4d.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Nice!!! One of these days (probably years) I need to get myself a blaster. 

-Micah

Edited by fossilhunter21

14 minutes ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Nice!!! One of these days (probably years) I need to get myself a blaster. 

-Micah

Maybe look into getting a Paasche. Fairly cheap and a good entry level abrader. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 minute ago, Kane said:

Maybe look into getting a Paasche. Fairly cheap and a good entry level abrader. 

Yeah, I have been thinking about getting one (and I would love to), but I would need to build/buy a lot of other things for it. Plus in a few days I am going to be spending quite a bit of money on a multi day fossil dig. Maybe In a few months, but right now I simply don't have much money to spend on fossil prep tools. 

Thanks! :)

-Micah

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Yeah, I have been thinking about getting one (and I would love to), but I would need to build/buy a lot of other things for it. Plus in a few days I am going to be spending quite a bit of money on a multi day fossil dig. Maybe In a few months, but right now I simply don't have much money to spend on fossil prep tools. 

Thanks! :)

-Micah

It is certainly not a cheap proposition to do prep, that's for sure! Hopefully in the near future you'll have all the right stuff ready and can get into some abrasion prep. Although a Paasche is pretty entry level, I've not graduated to a nice Swam or Comco yet and I can still produce fairly good results. It can be frustrating at times, but better than no setup at all. It really is a game-changer. 

• Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

13 minutes ago, Kane said:

It is certainly not a cheap proposition to do prep, that's for sure! Hopefully in the near future you'll have all the right stuff ready and can get into some abrasion prep. Although a Paasche is pretty entry level, I've not graduated to a nice Swam or Comco yet and I can still produce fairly good results. It can be frustrating at times, but better than no setup at all. It really is a game-changer. 

Thanks, Kane! I can understand how they could be pretty handy, but for now I will have to do with out one. I need to stop thinking about how handy having one would be... 

-Micah

Edited by fossilhunter21