Dromaeosaurid humerus?

CM8

Hello folks,

Any ideas on genus/species identification of this humerus? It's 14cm long, hollow, found in Judith River formation, Hill County, Montana. It was identified as "Dromaeosaurid sp. indent" by the seller. Possibly Dromaeosaurus albertensis?

It looks very similar to the first museum skeleton below, and fairly similar to the second - although the humeral head is less prominent. However, the morphology in the third and fourth museum Dromaeosaurus examples looks completely different, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

h01.jpg

h02.jpg

d01.jpeg

d02.jpeg

d03.jpeg

d04.jpeg

Edited by CM8

It does look like a Dromaeosaurid, might be a radius since the proximal end is pretty flat (see Tyrrell)

hoto).   Unfortunately the holotype of Dromaeosaurus did not include a humerus or radius and I have not seen anything published, not to say it does not exits but may explain the differences in your photo's.  You should also consider something like Saurornitholestes and all I have is a poor photo, see below.   So we have little comparative material from the JRF or Alberta.

Here are those from Dakotaraptor, Deinonychus and below Bambiraptor to compare against.   DePalma et al. (2015) and Burnham (2007)

Screenshot_20220729-120127_Drive.thumb.jpg.07716fa156846d338418bc479c17d2f5.jpg

Screenshot_20220729-120417_Drive.thumb.jpg.c25737cbe8460e8575c784ec57b9c66d.jpgScreenshot_20220729-120507_Drive.thumb.jpg.0148a7f5554851f68cdc8c02fa60c49d.jpg

Dromaeosaurus photo from the Tyrrell,  again not sure what it's based on. 

IMG_0713.thumb.JPG.71355ec693ae6c64198bea51734906c6.JPG

Saurornitholestes..a paper is forthcoming?? that describes this skeleton.  Skull has already be published

EXQ2NopWAAUqszp.jpeg.d8833d682f3dfb85112cfe4ce1712518.jpeg

My suggestion is to try to contact a paleontologist like P Currie or someone at the Tyrrell (Don Brinkman or Calb Brown) or all and get their opinions.  Having said that I've had difficulty getting a response from them since most are doing field work at this time of the year.  Nice specimen

Edit: Might include David Burnham who authored Bambiraptor and co-authored Dakotaraptor

• I found this Informative 1

Interesting, thanks! So all the museum skeletons have different shapes of the humerus because we don't have a definitive one for Dromaeosaurus yet... I have been mostly trying to identify it by comparing the speciment to various photos of specimens/casts, but it just doesn't seem to match precisely with anything - I hadn't thought of it potentially being a radius!

I might try as you suggest and see if I can get an opinion from one of the paleontologists - I'll post anything I get back in this thread.