Places to find fossils in the Denver/Aurora, CO?

Dominic444

Hello everyone,

I am going to be mainly in the Aurora area and possible Denver area during some part within the next month amd was wondering if there are any public sites locally and legally to find fossils. I don't mind if they are invertabrate sites as I do prefer those over vertabrate(however I don't mind vertebrate fossils either). All I have found online is the Florissant Fossil site and the normal tourist attractions where collecting isn't allowed/permitted. I don't overcollect and tend not to dig just to be on the safe side, both legally and for not damaging the landscape and/or fossil(s). Any help woyld be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

If you are looking for public sites where you can drive up and start digging, you won't find many in the Denver area. Florissant as you mentioned is the only one that comes to mind, and you have to pay $15 an hour to dig. I would recommend it though if you are willing to drive a couple hours south. Unlike many places east of the Mississippi with plentiful Paleozoic roadcuts collecting fossils on the side of the road is illegal in Colorado. The rocks and fossils on road cuts are property of CDOT. There are lots of fossils to be found in Colorado of all types. Its a very fossiliferous state, however it is mostly vertebrate fossils which you can't collect on BLM land, you'd have to find a spot on private property and then get permission from the owner which it doesn't sound like that's what you are looking for. I can't think of any widely known BLM invertebrate site in the state except for Douglas Pass, many hours west of Denver near the Utah border.

There are many places where you can see and experience fossils in the state without collecting though. There is the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, and then Dinosaur Ridge in Morrison which is on the western side of Denver. Good luck in your search, Colorado is a wonderful state with lots of interesting geology/paleontology.

• I found this Informative 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Thank you both. My schedule unfortunately doesn't allow me time while in Colorado. I might have time in Kansas on the way back however. Any good places near the 70 I could check out?

check out the museums near Hays, KS on your way back.  The Sternberg in Hays and the Frick (or Fick?) in Oakley.