Probably not amber, but what is it?

MWilder

I have had these rocks around for years and I don’t even remember where they came from. Likely I found them Missouri, but I originally presumed it was amber which wouldn’t be a Missouri find. I did the salt water float test and they sank to the bottom. Could these simply be quartz? What I am most curious about is the circular relief formation seen on the top stone in the picture.   
 The two images are of the top and bottom.
9B644DBF-8748-4873-BFCB-40BDC41388FC.thumb.jpeg.b8bbead3701e451e42529af762480185.jpeg 

ED82E3B0-012F-4A4F-8BD3-B343B5CA2E21.jpeg

May be plastic items of some sort melted in a fire, but not amber.

Edited by daves64
  • I Agree 2

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Try to thread them with a lighter flame or candle flame, outdoors. What happens, whats the odor (be careful, though!)

Franz Bernhard

10 hours ago, daves64 said:

May be plastic items of some sort melted in a fire, but not amber.

I was thinking the same thing. It’s very hard like rock or glass. Because I’ve had it for so long and don’t remember where I found them, I’m now wondering if it was amongst the remnants of glass and pottery I excavated from the rubbish pit of 100 year old house I once owned.

The original owners may have set fire to the rubbish, melting pieces of glass and plastic.

Well, I guess I can go ahead and pitch this in the rubbish pit of my new house, Ha!