Big Stylemis, "digged" at a fair...

rocket

Some weeks ago I went "digging" to a huge fair in France. You never know what you´ll find, so I was happy to get a biiiiiig Stylemis from the badlands. Approx. 45 cm long, its the second biggest we ever had. But, the conditon... eroded, but the turtle-shell is great. So, we decided to buy and prepare. Takes longer than expected, just working on it and hope to finish before Christmas...

Lets start with some pics, I add new ones when I went on with preparation..., enjoy :rolleyes:

first pic was done at the fair, first steps are:

cleaning, cleaning, cleaning... and remount / glue

828034515_InkedIMG_6452-Kopie.jpg

IMG_6486.JPG

IMG_6561.JPG

IMG_6582.JPG

IMG_6588.JPG

Edited by rocket
  • Enjoyed 11

Even after 31 years of prepping fossils, I still never tire of seeing other peoples prep projects.  

RB

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

hope to upload next pics today or tomorrow, goes on. Not faaaaaaaaaaaaaaast, but slow like the turtle walks :eyeroll:

• Enjoyed 1

I saw this one at the fair, i was interested too but I didnt buy it because i was afraid that too many scutes were missing.

I am happy someone takes care of it, and I look forward seeing the final result !

16 hours ago, Pixpaleosky said:

I saw this one at the fair, i was interested too but I didnt buy it because i was afraid that too many scutes were missing.

I am happy someone takes care of it, and I look forward seeing the final result !

Yes, I can understand... We saw it on Friday, slept about, went there Saturday morning, talk about the price, came back later, talk about the price...., and, at the end (we took some other fossils, too) we found a good price together. Never did a Stylemis like this (size and condition) before, brings lot of work..., but FUN!!! Quality is great, but on the top some scutes are missing. I think it will be "easy" to reconstruct them. But I will see at the end :rolleyes:

Did you get something for your collection in Ste Marie?

• 4 weeks later...

Saturday I thought about what to do in August. Looking on my calendar I have seen it´s end of August... Where are the days? Do not know... Took some hours with my new friend, the turtle

Bottom part cleaned, next weekend I start to glue :-), I think I need some gallons :eyeroll:

IMG_7867.thumb.JPG.8378637bb47e6696486f98f0c875e69f.JPG

IMG_7866.thumb.JPG.b3dfc53d4ade0615fec95ab3ed2d4d0a.JPG

IMG_7868.thumb.JPG.74abe01bd1029ad37f6d2c6fc9045f82.JPG

Edited by rocket
  • Enjoyed 7

Wow... That's quite the job. I would look at a mess like that and get an itchy feeling all over thinking about the work and struggle that would be involved, and run the other way. Glad there are others out there like yourself who aren't so afraid!

When I bought it on the fair I thought it will go fast :eyeroll:, but inside its partly eroded and not stabile. So, I have to undress it and rebuild.

Makes fun!!!

Man! :default_faint:That does not look fun! I sure am glad I am not the one prepping it! But, looking good!

I actually was fossil hunting in the White River Formation in August, and found a tortoise in very good condition. Unfortunately it was my first time plaster jacketing and I was in a hurry, and when I took it out of the ground it kind of fell apart... :( It makes me feel sad thinking about what could have been...

-Micah

• Thank You 1

For me its exciting to do something like this. I have never disassembled and assembled such a large turtle. Hopefully it will still look like a turtle when I'm ready with prepping :heartylaugh:

• Enjoyed 2

• 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, Notidanodon said:

any updates @rocket :) looks great

not yet, too much work last time and many other projects. One is, I have no room for prep at the moment, bought some machines and shelves but did not find time to install. But found some time to do my compressor aside, cut the air-pressure and stored all my chissels. Only for some days..., but this was 3 weeks ago, or 4? :eyeroll:... Think to go on in December, earlier will not be time to finish the room :s_cry:. Than it will be two month without prepping, uuuuugh. And got new material in the meantime :headscratch:... 

• Enjoyed 1

On 11/8/2022 at 7:31 PM, rocket said:

not yet, too much work last time and many other projects. One is, I have no room for prep at the moment, bought some machines and shelves but did not find time to install. But found some time to do my compressor aside, cut the air-pressure and stored all my chissels. Only for some days..., but this was 3 weeks ago, or 4? :eyeroll:... Think to go on in December, earlier will not be time to finish the room :s_cry:. Than it will be two month without prepping, uuuuugh. And got new material in the meantime :headscratch:... 

well at least it will be a fun Christmas :) 

I had forgotton about this but seeing this thread again I too am looking forward to seeing the final results. 

RB

• Enjoyed 1

On 8/2/2022 at 1:21 PM, RJB said:

Even after 31 years of prepping fossils, I still never tire of seeing other peoples prep projects.  

RB

How did you get started?

1 hour ago, SpeedThrash said:

How did you get started?

Went for a hike at Scotia Sandstone Formation in northern Cal and found a small hunk of rock with an impression of a clam in it.  Thats all it took.  I was hooked.  First prep tool was one of my wifes steak knifes.  :heartylaugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Preproom is ready, 90%

Air-brasive will run again at the weekend, but the airpens are under pressure

Went on with some other projects last days (I show one or two next time) and go back to the turtle next week :rolleyes:

Edited by rocket