Spirifers? Delthyris? Devonian

Anna Marie

Of course I forgot the ruler. I have 4 of these all aprox 1/2" to 3/4" or 12.7- to 19.5mm.  I added the second pic to show that they don't look like the Mucrospirifers?? that I found there. Someone identified something very similar to it on their website as Delthyris. They are Devonian from Pennsylvania. Thanks for any help on it or actually even both if I identified the Mucrospirifers in the 2nd photo incorrectly. Thanks!!

delthyris2.jpg

mucro.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

What unit did these come from? A ruler picture of each of them would be preferred, to gather precise measurements. :rolleyes:

• Thank You 1

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Those do look like they are pretty certainly :brachiopod:Mucrospirifer though the preservation and matrix seem decidedly different to the other specimen in question. 

Anyway, if this is the Mahantango Formation, which it should be at this location, then the other brachiopod is Megakozlowskiella sculptilis. 

Good call, @Misha :fistbump:

Edited by Tidgy's Dad
  • I found this Informative 4
  • I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 8/5/2022 at 12:35 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Those do look like they are pretty certainly :brachiopod:Mucrospirifer though the preservation and matrix seem decidedly different to the other specimen in question. 

Anyway, if this is the Mahantango Formation, which it should be at this location, then the other brachiopod is Megakozlowskiella sculptilis. 

Good call, @Misha :fistbump:

Thank you!!!!!