NE Texas Bone ID?

stork1122

Im surprised no one has replied.  Can anyone even throw out a guess?  It passes the lick test.  I found it in a creek bed that has remnants of the eagle ford formation, but I find all sorts of stuff in the creek.  

22 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

This might light a fire. :chuckle:

Limb bone from an immature mosasaur. 

Wrong bone texture and it's hollow.  If I had to guess from these photos, it looks like a juvenile mammal tibia based on the triangular cross section and seemingly unfused end.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Wrong bone texture and it's hollow.  If I had to guess from these photos, it looks like a juvenile mammal tibia based on the triangular cross section and seemingly unfused end.

What sort of mammal do you think? I’m a newbie and just trying to educate myself. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, stork1122 said:

What sort of mammal do you think? I’m a newbie and just trying to educate myself. Thanks. 

Not sure, given it's condition.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

@stork1122

I normally need at least one complete end of a bone to make a reliable ID, because the ends of the bones have small differences that help distinguish one mammal from another.  You do have one unbroken end to work with here, but as I understand it, since it's a juvenile bone, it lacks the epiphysis (rounded end of the bone) that I would look at to tell between one species and another.  

That may be why no one commented on this one sooner.  It's tough to give any more detail than John did.

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, Brandy Cole said:

@stork1122

I normally need at least one complete end of a bone to make a reliable ID, because the ends of the bones have small differences that help distinguish one mammal from another.  You do have one unbroken end to work with here, but as I understand it, since it's a juvenile bone, it lacks the epiphysis (rounded end of the bone) that I would look at to tell between one species and another.  

That may be why no one commented on this one sooner.  It's tough to give any more detail than John did.

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense. 

• Enjoyed 1