Plant Material Found in Cochrane - How Do You Glue Together?

Nreekay

Hey Folks,

Found this little piece in a construction area here in Cochrane.

What is the best way to glue them together?

Thanks Folks!

919BA9D0-560A-417D-8C77-2F406F8C7879.jpeg

You split it open and want to glue it back together? Why?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

34 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

You split it open and want to glue it back together? Why?

It split open when I was hammering away. The picture attached is how I want to display it. It’s the way it should be, but I want both sides attached. Just wondering what kind of bonding compound might be best

Epoxy resin with some crushed rock from the back of your specimen as filler.

But I won´t do it. Let them separate. Just display them nicely side by side. As individual stands, you could try some slightly crushed alumina foil.

Franz Bernhard

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Epoxy resin with some crushed rock from the back of your specimen as filler.

But I won´t do it. Let them separate. Just display them nicely side by side. As individual stands, you could try some slightly crushed alumina foil.

Franz Bernhard

Thanks Franz!

I will take your advice. I appreciate it.

Ez

• Thank You 1

15 hours ago, Nreekay said:

It split open when I was hammering away. The picture attached is how I want to display it. It’s the way it should be, but I want both sides attached. Just wondering what kind of bonding compound might be best

Aha! :DOH: Now I understand. Heavy cardboard trimmed smaller than the two halves, glued to the back of the specimen with Elmer's Glue or a water-soluble wood glue that can be undone if you decide to change it in the future. I have hundreds of Mazon Creek fossils mounted this way but I have the cardstock larger than the specimen and serving as the "display stand".

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Aha! :DOH: Now I understand. Heavy cardboard trimmed smaller than the two halves, glued to the back of the specimen with Elmer's Glue or a water-soluble wood glue that can be undone if you decide to change it in the future. I have hundreds of Mazon Creek fossils mounted this way but I have the cardstock larger than the specimen and serving as the "display stand".

Thanks Mark! I guess I will play around with the pieces to see how best to display them. Interesting little find. Construction zones are like treasure troves.

Ez