Black light / UV - Light

rocket

I love to start a thread to show what you can see with "black light", or as we say in Germany, blue light / UV-Light. I love to use it in preparation, you see finest bones, parts of crustaceen and many other things only by using blue light, and not without. 

First I show a pic of a small pterosaur-wing from Solnhofen I am just preparing. I did it with blue light, you see why... Without it could be that you destroy bones or scratch them, but with..., you know when you have to stop! Show us your results, I love to see what you see under black-light

7788_Fliegerfinger.jpg

7781_Fliegerfinger.jpg

Edited by rocket
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 7

Very cool!  Are you using long or short wave UV?  I've checked my fossils in the past, and none of them fluoresce. If the bones from the Hellcreek would light up under UV, it would make hunting a whole new experience!

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Normally I use a wavelength at around 330 - 350 nm (depends on the specification of the producer and the truth :rolleyes:), this works perfect for most bones, crustaceens, echinoderms (not all...) and many other fossils

Many years ago we took the lamps in Altmühltal-valley at night and find really cool things we would never have seen without. Great invention!!!

• Enjoyed 1

In one of my albums with Altmühltal-Valley-Fossils I showed some crustaceens under blacklight

Decide to add them to this post. Best way to prepare and to identify them, you will not miss any details...

both pics (this both and the ones from the next post) had been done while preparation. You can see at the legs, they are not ready. But without UV-Light for me it is not possible to find all the fine details.

I know other, really better prepworkers who can do it as good or better without, but for me it´s the best!

5730_Aeg_spinipes_kleiner.jpg

5725_Aeg_spinipes_kleiner.jpg

Edited by rocket
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4

I watched a talk from a researcher about this phenomena in fossilized shells.  She showed the comparison between how the fluorescent patterns of the fossils matched the patterns in modern shells of the same species. 

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

What's her name ?

Coco

Edited by Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 hour ago, Coco said:
What's her name ?

Coco

Sorry, I dont remember.  It was a ZOOM meeting of the Dallas Paleo Club back during all the covid lockdowns.

41 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

Sorry, I dont remember.  It was a ZOOM meeting of the Dallas Paleo Club back during all the covid lockdowns.

Remember the name Bob?

@BobWill

11 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

I watched a talk from a researcher about this phenomena in fossilized shells.  She showed the comparison between how the fluorescent patterns of the fossils matched the patterns in modern shells of the same species. 

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, caterpillar said:

Oh wow! Those are some spectacular images in that article and gives me new appreciation for the tons of shells I brought back from the excursion to the Parin Basin I made as a teen. Ties in beautifully with my below thread:

• Enjoyed 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

"FOSSILES" is a really great journal, high quality photos and really good articles. We learned a lot from this magazine. The article about the molluscs under UV is superb, did not know that it´s possible to get pdf of it, we only had the print-version

thanks for sharing the link!

Edited by rocket
  • I Agree 1

35 minutes ago, rocket said:

"FOSSILES" is a really great journal, high quality photos and really good articles. We learned a lot from this magazine. The article about the molluscs under UV is superb, did not know that it´s possible to get pdf of it, we only had the print-version

thanks for sharing the link!

Agree. I also have the print-version, especially for the aforementioned collection of fossils from the Paris Basin, but never had a chance to read it - and the time I flipped it through, when I first got the magazine, has obviously sunk away in memory :) But it being an article from Fossiles explains a lot. It's a great series :Smiling:

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Hi,

I only knew Jean-Michel Pacaud as a researcher who studied this subject that interests me, he must have written others. He’s a very nice and passionate person.

Coco

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

14 hours ago, Coco said:
What's her name ?

Coco

I believe it was Linda McCall but I don't remember when the talk was. Many of them are available on the DPS website. She is active in the North Carolina Fossil Club so you may find contact information there.

• Thank You 2

finished the pterosaurwing I started the thread with :rolleyes:, UV-light gave more details than expected, see the results

Think its Pterodacytylus

I love blue light :b_love1:

7880_Fliegerfinger.jpg

0155_Fliegerfinger.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

4 minutes ago, rocket said:

finished the pterosaurwing I started the thread with :rolleyes:, UV-light gave more details than expected, see the results

Think its Pterodacytylus

I love blue light :b_love1:

7880_Fliegerfinger.jpg0155_Fliegerfinger.jpg

Stunning specimen! And awesome preparation-work! :default_clap2: