Earth's landmasses through geologic time

Misha

Hello everyone, 

I've recently been organizing my collection into some new shelving and came up with an idea of something I thought could be interesting. 
These shelves will be displaying the part of my collection starting from the lower Ordovician and up to the Late Devonian, the part I focus most on. And here, I organized my fossils by period/ epoch (depending on how many I have), the idea was to put a 3d printed map of roughly what the continents were during each range of time.

The question is, I am not sure where I could find maps for reference to make my 3d models, I am looking for ones that are as detailed as possible, representing each of the epochs I have here, preferably in something like a mollweide projection, although I am open to using others, I just think that may look the best.

I used to know a site that would let you select a certain period or epoch and it would show you the map of that time, but the name escapees me at the moment,

If anyone knows a similar resource or just some good detailed maps, I would really appreciate your help in finding it.

Thank you for your time.

Misha

Ron Blakey, emeritus at Northern Arizona University, has created many maps. You may have to buy a book or the maps.

https://www2.nau.edu/rcb7/

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

17 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Ron Blakey, emeritus at Northern Arizona University, has created many maps. You may have to buy a book or the maps.

https://www2.nau.edu/rcb7/

There are some really good, lower resolution ones available for free on there. I think thy will work.

Thank you so much!

12 hours ago, Misha said:

I used to know a site that would let you select a certain period or epoch and it would show you the map of that time, but the name escapees me at the moment,

Perhaps, https://paleobiodb.org/navigator/.

Just click the icon of South America and Africa on the left side and it will let you select a time period and show a map. Its not detailed since its just white land and black water though

• Thank You 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

There's a book, "Atlas of Mesozoic and Cenozoic Coastlines" by Alan G. Smith, David G. Smith, and Brian M. Funnell (Cambridge University Press, 1994).  I have the first paperback edition published in 2004.  It has 31 paleo maps representing points in time from the Pliocene back to the Early Triassic (covering the breakup of Pangaea) so it wouldn't go far enough back for you and it's probably too dated in terms of detail but I like it still for the general idea of what the world looked like at different points in time.

For Ordovician to Devonian views, you can try doing searches for researchers who work on maps like that and contact them directly to learn about the most recently published update.

Edited by siteseer
additional thought
  • I found this Informative 1