fossilnoob

Any Sites In Illinois ?

fossilnoob

Anyone know any sites to find fossils in Illinois?Some of my family members are getting back into this,and my little sister has took an interest. The only one I found was in braidwood. Can anyone help me? thank you

Fossildude19

Hey Noob!

Check this website. Just keep in mind this list is OLD,... and that many sites have probably disappeared or may be private property now.

http://donaldkenney.110mb.com./STATES/IL.HTM

Good luck!

RCFossils

There are lots of areas around Illinois. If you live in the Chicago area, your best bet is Braidwood Fish and Wildlife area. Unfortunately it is heavily collected and very overgrown but treasures can still be found if one is persistant enough. Make sure to wear a good bug spray as the ticks and chiggers are nasty. You can also join a local rock club like ESCONI (Earth Science Club of Northern Illinois). They are a great resource and hold monthly meetings at The College of Dupage. You can check them out at ESCONI.ORG. They occasionally can get access into some of the local quarries that are off limits to the casual collector. Burpee Museum in Rock also has trips to some of the quarries.

Good Luck!

Stonebreaker

There are lots of areas around Illinois. If you live in the Chicago area, your best bet is Braidwood Fish and Wildlife area. Unfortunately it is heavily collected and very overgrown but treasures can still be found if one is persistant enough. Make sure to wear a good bug spray as the ticks and chiggers are nasty. You can also join a local rock club like ESCONI (Earth Science Club of Northern Illinois). They are a great resource and hold monthly meetings at The College of Dupage. You can check them out at ESCONI.ORG. They occasionally can get access into some of the local quarries that are off limits to the casual collector. Burpee Museum in Rock also has trips to some of the quarries.

Good Luck!

I know a buddy of mine goes to the lemont quarries just off lemont road before the big bridge . i will try to contact him.

JimB88

If your near the Rockford or South Beloit area try some of the roadcuts along Yale Bridge road. Lots of Ordovician goodies.

Harry Pristis
post-42-12730717072599_thumb.jpg

Xiphactinus
post-42-12730717072599_thumb.jpg

That creek is pretty much closed off. Too many commercial diggers got in there and tore the place up. Ruined it for us collectors that loved to go there. One guy even started excavating the landowner's road that went across the exposure. Grrrr. I loved going there!

JimB88

Heres an interesting site. Not sure if its still productive, but in Blue Island (I know, yikes!) in the rocks of the Calumet Sag Canal they used to find fossil leeches from the silurian. Im not sure if they still do. The species is Lecthaylus gregaris - is another place in Illinois where soft bodied fauna are preserved (at least one has been.)

They occur in the Racine Formation, Lockport Shale Member.

I bought one at maps - a good example that you can see the thin segmentation lines.

Stonebreaker

UGH Blue Island? Best be packing if u go there ;)

squalicorax

just drive to racine quarry park in wisconsin

mazon creek is impossible these days :D

Roz

That creek is pretty much closed off. Too many commercial diggers got in there and tore the place up. Ruined it for us collectors that loved to go there. One guy even started excavating the landowner's road that went across the exposure. Grrrr. I loved going there!

I didn't know that.. I loved that site..

squalicorax

The floraville site is still accessible by permission of the land owner

We talked to the people that live off that road and told us it was ok to collect down there.

Walked down the road to the creek and ran into the land owners son carrying a varmit rifle and he said it was ok.

Roz

The floraville site is still accessible by permission of the land owner

We talked to the people that live off that road and told us it was ok to collect down there.

Walked down the road to the creek and ran into the land owners son carrying a varmit rifle and he said it was ok.

Very good news! I know which house you mean as there was that last one closest to the creek..

chutson99

Banner Marsh is an old strip coal mining area along the Illinois river,off route 24 south of Peoria that's flooded and overgrown and managed as a fishing and hunting area by the state DNR. When they dug out the coal, they exposed some shale (Pennsylvanian, I think) that I've found some nice big Linoproductus brachiopods in, and some limestone (Mississippian, I think?) that's full of little shelly brachiopods and disarticulated crinoid stems, never seen anything too interesting in that.

dale carter

any one the way to the quarry in alton il thanks or a map

squalicorax

What quarry are you speaking of Dale?

trilobiteruss

Yep it was an awesome site, this is one case where some individuals ruined for rest of us! Sad, loved that area!

russ

trilobiteruss

I would second comments about the Braidwood collecting area and trips offered by Burpee Museum. There are good Ordovician fossils around Rockford and they can get you in to quarries. NW Illinois around Savana, Galena, East Dubuque have great exposures in some road cuts of Ordovician and Silurian rocks that can be great for collecting but you may want to find non busy roads to do that collecting. Southern Illinois is a great area also as you are south of most glaciation so bedrock is exposed. Exposures from Ordovician, Silurian, Devonian, Mississippian can be collected. But sites will have to be searched out. If you can get copies of the old Illinois Geological Survey field trips for public (they sell them) they can give clues to good exposures of fossils (at least at time of trips) but some are private so you will have to get permission for those, but road and stream cuts may be available on public property that you can collect.

Russ

dale carter

any one the way to the quarry in alton il thanks or a map

What quarry are you speaking of Dale?

i heard that there were some quarrys around alton,il but dont know where they are

dale carter

i heard that there were some quarrys around alton,il but dont know where they are

i live in the springfield il area and would to take a day trip to alton,il if i knew a quarry or two to explore

MontanaLon

There are tons of fossils in my area. Unfortunately every single acre in the county is privately owned so you must seek permission to collect. It isn't really that hard to make contacts if you live here to go collect but for out of towners you are probably going to get some strange looks and some refusals.

Even with the glaciation having churned everything up there are fossils to be found. I find a lot in our river and in smaller creeks. I go to one spot that if you spend the time you can find 100's of fossils in every shovel full. Mostly crinoids, corals and snails but every now and then I find something a little different and new(to me). Being in the water most of them are small and loose from the surrounding material so it is just a matter of looking very closely.

fossilnoob

What part of the state are u in?I just found a nice shaley hill not to far from me with a lot of stuff!

fossilnoob

Wow! Thanks ashcraft! Looks awesome! You far from there? Looks like it might be a haul from where I'm from! Worth the trip tho!

MontanaLon

What part of the state are u in?I just found a nice shaley hill not to far from me with a lot of stuff!

Livingston County, about 80 miles south of Chicago.