fossilnoob

Any Sites In Illinois ?

Rob Russell

Wow. That site's not far from home. I'll have to check it out this year. Thanks for the tip redtakesahike

Chrisalyne

Mazonia State Park in Braidwood. Pennsylvanian Epoch in the Carboniferous Period aged fossils. Pretty well known place. :-P I'm not sure if anyone else posted this as well. I didn't go through and read each entry. But just a suggestion.

TomKoss

Well I'm in the jacksonville area west of Springfield. I really couldnt find any info on this part of the state so i been digging in books. OLD books. Geology surveys from the 1880's. Im mapping them in google earth and referencing my source material. If anyones interested in some of the locations i've managed to dig out of the surveys, PM me and I can email you the links from google earth.

This is a very slow process, so many reference land owners that died 130 years ago, Villages that are gone, Coal mines that ran out over a hundred years ago. but i lucked out and got a Platte Book from the 1870's for a few counties to cross reference and some of the 1920-1950 train maps that show the old lines. Along with Google and ISGS and USGS maps and zones. Currently i've managed to cross reference about a Dozen sites that mentioned decent fossil finds. How ever. Most the fossils mentioned have been renamed, or appear not to be described in any book I can locate except for one liners in random old books thru googles book search. But i'll keep searching thru these old books for more things. Then once i get free time and decent weather, will try and locate some of the sites on foot.

References i've located so far are in Morgan, Pike, Greene, Jersey and Macoupin

Auspex

Old-fashioned sweat-of-the-brow research; well done, TomKoss!

What is the source of your archival material?

TomKoss

various sources, local library, family book collections, google books, USGS & ISGS surveys and field guides. Along with www.isgs.illinois.edu site for accutate mine maps of each county to locate the zones referenced in the surveys. Also located a few old, some very old 1870-1980 geology and paleontology papers/field guides for free on Barnes and Nobles for my Tablet.

Getting kinda funning reading thru these. Alot of the really old surveys drop snide remarks about town folk or towns into the papers. They drop random notes in about Native petroglyphs found on some of the deposits and exposures. Also you can tell by reading which surveyers were more in it for money alone and others that really loved paleontology and geology. And you can tell just by reading how excited some would be with certain fossil finds or geodes.

Its abosoluty amazing to read thru all these.

icefalcon

Regarding all the weenies who are terrified of Blue Island, you need to get a grip. I live in Chicago less than a mile from BI. If you use the same common sense as elsewhere in the world, you will have no problem. My gosh. 

Rob Russell
On 1/9/2019 at 8:14 PM, icefalcon said:

Regarding all the weenies who are terrified of Blue Island, you need to get a grip. I live in Chicago less than a mile from BI. If you use the same common sense as elsewhere in the world, you will have no problem. My gosh. 

I wouldn’t get too worked up.  It was only one person, out of a dozen or so whove commented on this thread, that mentioned blue island in; what you’ve obviously have taken, in a negative way. His comment was obviously ignored by two more pages of comments by people who actually live in Illinois.  He hasn’t been on this website since 2012, and he’s from Billings, Montana.