Consolidate Kem Kem teeth

BirdsAreDinosaurs

Hi all. Some of the Kem Kem dinosaur teeth in my collection have cracks in the enamel or missing bits of enamel. Therefore I thought it would be wise to consolidate these teeth. I was thinking about using a 5% solution of paraloid b-72 in acetone. I do have a few questions about how to apply the consolidant.

- I am planning to apply the paraloid using a small brush. How do you usually do that? Do one side first, wait for it to dry and then do the other side?

- how long does it take before a tooth is completely dry and you can touch the fossil again with your bare hands? Minutes, hours, days?

- I believe many of the Kem Kem teeth are already kind of consolidated using super glue. Is this correct and does this affect how the paraloid works or how I should approach the process?

Thanks!

I would use a 2.5% solution. It gives you just enough consolidation without looking like there’s something on the tooth. Also, consolidants don’t soak into enamel well so, the more solvent you have the better. For teeth, I brush it on one side and then the other after it drys. Drying time for such a thin solution is only about a minute to touch and 5 minutes until the Paraloid is not soft. 

• I found this Informative 1

Have not seen KK teeth with superglue, the acetone may soften it  but it will harden.  Most Moroccan teeth that have repairs on them usually have a matrix mix that may be water soluble.   I would first make sure your teeth are clean of matrix as much as possible.   Make sure that you soak the base of the tooth not just the crown area.   

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 1:09 PM, Troodon said:

Have not seen KK teeth with superglue, the acetone may soften it  but it will harden.  Most Moroccan teeth that have repairs on them usually have a matrix mix that may be water soluble.   I would first make sure your teeth are clean of matrix as much as possible.   Make sure that you soak the base of the tooth not just the crown area.   

Thanks! How do you advise to remove this matrix mix, given that it usually is water soluble glue? I am kind of reluctant to use water on my teeth and I have used aceton before, but results were mixed. Also, for how long should I soak the base? Thanks again!

Can be difficult and it all depends what was done, its like concrete.  Ive also have mixed results with acetone and water.  You can first try acetone and see what happens.   Water should be fine if you apply it to the area in question using a cotton swab.  I've had success using mechanical means with a xacto knife but its problematic and you have to work slowly and carefully.   No easy way, better if it was left alone by the Moroccans

• Thank You 1