Found in Whitby Bay, UK

Willowfossil

Hello!

Complete newbie here. I went looking for fossils for the very first time last week and came across a few interesting things that I don't really know what I'm looking at. I won't bombard you with them though ha, but if anyone can help me identify this that I found at Whitby Bay, UK I'd be much appreciated. Any idea on age? Also any tips on looking after it? Do I need to seal it or anything. Thank you in advance! 

Also, can anyone say how old they think the mussel may be also?  So excited to learn about this subject :)20220803_115318.jpg

20220803_131426.jpgspan widgetpan widget

Welcome to the Forum.

I believe the fossils in the Whitby area are Middle Jurassic in age.

Can't help with ID's, though.

@LiamL  @DanJeavs  @TqB

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Don't know what the first is. The second appears to be a bivalve. I'm not familiar with the fossils in your area, so I'll let others take a stab at ID.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I think the first is a pyritic nodule that's probably formed along a burrow - so it's a trace fossil.

Bivalves are tricky but the second looks like Parainoceramus substriatus which is a rare one around there. 

They'll both be Lower Jurassic, Lias Group - most of the sequence is exposed somewhere along the coast from Redcar southwards. (There is Middle Jurassic cover to  a lot of it but most of it's non-marine, known mainly for plant fossils around Whitby but not very much else.)

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

Ooh thank you for your answers. I appreciate you taking the time to do so! I can't stop looking at them and wondering at the age. It's incredible really 

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Willowfossil said:

I can't stop looking at them and wondering at the age. It's incredible really

Yeah, its incomprehensible to human minds. With time, one gets used to it, but if you think about it, well...

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1

I'm not sure about the first specimen (I thought it could be a pyritized crinoid part (arm/stem/holdfast)). Maybe it's just in my mind. :)

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Best not to use coins for scale, as they differ in size by nation.

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana