Anybody has an idea what this could be?

Alp

Hello everyone! I am new here and this is my first post. Today i have found a rock that i suspected of carrying a fossil inside. So i gave it a shot and broke it open only to my surprise finding a fossil inside. After some research i was not able to identify this earthworm looking like creature. I found this forum and wanted to ask your opinions on this case.

The fossil is 17mm long and 3 mm thick.

It is found in a rooftop which has different rocks for decorative purposes so i do not know where it originally came from.

I am located in the middle of Turkey (Anatolia)

Would be great to at least have an understanding of this creature from the earths past days. 

Thank you all in advance and hey i hope i am welcome here!

05815153-E7FE-433B-BE92-2B56E0F55A43.jpeg

FE1AE508-7AA0-4589-B51E-404760E00215.jpeg

Definitely welcome here... You recognize the difference between a rock and a fossil ... you have a fossil..

I am not skilled on the fauna in your part of the world ,  but maybe @Tidgy's Dad can help....

• Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

7 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Definitely welcome here... You recognize the difference between a rock and a fossil ... you have a fossil..

I am not skilled on the fauna in your part of the world ,  but maybe @Tidgy's Dad can help....

Thank you so much Shellseeker! I hope we can identify this one i am curious about these things :) I am adding more detailed photos with this reply

8899BE5E-AA3B-4414-AB8E-D3796CF9C369.jpeg

4097B331-1044-4A30-BD6E-8FD00C66BDCE.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.  My first impression is that this is a crinoid crown with long arms that are partially worn away.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

17 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Welcome to the forum.  My first impression is that this is a crinoid crown with long arms that are partially worn away.

Thank you for your opinion and quick response!  @grandpa, but my research has showed me that the crinoid crowns have rather vertical lines just like a spine where as my found has horizontal lines. And also i would like to point out that the fossil seems to have both ends attached it looks like a flat earthworm.

21 minutes ago, Plax said:

perhaps a distorted and weathered echinoid spine?

Thank you plax! It just might be. But closer inspection with my eye shows me that both ends are converging and creates conical ends It does not seem to be attached to anything else. 

Edited by Alp

Echinoid spines come in MANY sizes and shapes. I would not rule this out.

Spines. External ornament: A , Paracentrotus (echinoid), “smooth”. B , Prionocidaris (cidaroid), scattered, coarse thorns. C , Stylocidaris (cidaroid), row of thorns. D , Eucidaris (cidaroid), beaded ribs. E , Diadema (diadematoid), verticillate. F , Asthenosoma (echinothurioid), hyaline hoof. Cross sections: G , Eucidaris (cidaroid), differentiation in central medulla, lamellae and cortex. H , Asthenosoma (echinothurioid), hollow spine with labyrinthic mesh. I , Diadema (diadematoid), hollow spine with well-defined basal plate. J , diadematoid with occasional trabeculae crossing central lumen. K , Paracentrotus (echinoid), dissepiments linked by thin pillars. L , Brissopsis (spatangoid), hollow spine with well-defined basal plate. General appearance: M , Echinodiscus (scutelline), aboral spine with swollen, bent head. N , Histocidarid, specialized adoral primary spine with saw-tooth edges. O , Brissopsis (spatangoid), spatulate-tipped spine in two views. Black scale bars equal 100 μ m, white scale bars 1 mm. (B, C, J and N from Kroh 2005). 

Spines. External ornament: A , Paracentrotus (echinoid), “smooth”. B , Prionocidaris (cidaroid), scattered, coarse thorns. C , Stylocidaris (cidaroid), row of thorns. D , Eucidaris (cidaroid), beaded ribs. E , Diadema (diadematoid), verticillate. F , Asthenosoma (echinothurioid), hyaline hoof. Cross sections: G , Eucidaris (cidaroid), differentiation in central medulla, lamellae and cortex. H , Asthenosoma (echinothurioid), hollow spine with labyrinthic mesh. I , Diadema (diadematoid), hollow spine with well-defined basal plate. J , diadematoid with occasional trabeculae crossing central lumen. K , Paracentrotus (echinoid), dissepiments linked by thin pillars. L , Brissopsis (spatangoid), hollow spine with well-defined basal plate. General appearance: M , Echinodiscus (scutelline), aboral spine with swollen, bent head. N , Histocidarid, specialized adoral primary spine with saw-tooth edges. O , Brissopsis (spatangoid), spatulate-tipped spine in two views. Black scale bars equal 100 μ m, white scale bars 1 mm. (B, C, J and N from Kroh 2005). by Andrew B Smith

Content may be subject to copyright.

Source publication

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

Echinoid spines come in MANY sizes and shapes. I would not rule this out.

Spines. External ornament: A , Paracentrotus (echinoid), “smooth”. B , Prionocidaris (cidaroid), scattered, coarse thorns. C , Stylocidaris (cidaroid), row of thorns. D , Eucidaris (cidaroid), beaded ribs. E , Diadema (diadematoid), verticillate. F , Asthenosoma (echinothurioid), hyaline hoof. Cross sections: G , Eucidaris (cidaroid), differentiation in central medulla, lamellae and cortex. H , Asthenosoma (echinothurioid), hollow spine with labyrinthic mesh. I , Diadema (diadematoid), hollow spine with well-defined basal plate. J , diadematoid with occasional trabeculae crossing central lumen. K , Paracentrotus (echinoid), dissepiments linked by thin pillars. L , Brissopsis (spatangoid), hollow spine with well-defined basal plate. General appearance: M , Echinodiscus (scutelline), aboral spine with swollen, bent head. N , Histocidarid, specialized adoral primary spine with saw-tooth edges. O , Brissopsis (spatangoid), spatulate-tipped spine in two views. Black scale bars equal 100 μ m, white scale bars 1 mm. (B, C, J and N from Kroh 2005). 

Spines. External ornament: A , Paracentrotus (echinoid), “smooth”. B , Prionocidaris (cidaroid), scattered, coarse thorns. C , Stylocidaris (cidaroid), row of thorns. D , Eucidaris (cidaroid), beaded ribs. E , Diadema (diadematoid), verticillate. F , Asthenosoma (echinothurioid), hyaline hoof. Cross sections: G , Eucidaris (cidaroid), differentiation in central medulla, lamellae and cortex. H , Asthenosoma (echinothurioid), hollow spine with labyrinthic mesh. I , Diadema (diadematoid), hollow spine with well-defined basal plate. J , diadematoid with occasional trabeculae crossing central lumen. K , Paracentrotus (echinoid), dissepiments linked by thin pillars. L , Brissopsis (spatangoid), hollow spine with well-defined basal plate. General appearance: M , Echinodiscus (scutelline), aboral spine with swollen, bent head. N , Histocidarid, specialized adoral primary spine with saw-tooth edges. O , Brissopsis (spatangoid), spatulate-tipped spine in two views. Black scale bars equal 100 μ m, white scale bars 1 mm. (B, C, J and N from Kroh 2005). by Andrew B Smith

Content may be subject to copyright.

Source publication

Thank you minnbuckeye. I see how it is plausible but the ends seem too irregular for an echinoid spine.

7 hours ago, grandpa said:

@grandpa After further research, I think you might be absolutely right! I am sorry for being ignorant and not understanding what you meant at first. I have found some examples and some fossils have indeed converging ends just like closed tentacles of a squid when it is swimming. 

In the first image the ends look very similar but it is a fatter one.

In the second image i can see that the horizontal and vertical lines are very similar

In the third image (a) we can see that both ends can be conical.

(All images are taken from public sources i do not own any rights to any one of those 3)

What do you guys think? 

1329BC86-87F4-448A-BEC5-90CF0E0E1C2D.jpeg

58EBFB4C-8AD3-4E4E-B6DE-F50F874A4940.jpeg

D3C6BD23-9CE3-4E78-A340-6C41DB70CBCE.jpeg

1 hour ago, Alp said:

Grandpa, After further research, I think you might be absolutely right!

:rolleyes:

I recently learned that fusulinids can actually get that big. We usually think of them as microfossils since they are a single cell but they can reach as long as 5 cm. I think there is a part of the structure that could account for the fine lines running across the surface that you can see in this image from Wikipedia.

220px-Fusulinid_cutaway.gif

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

I don't know fossil collecting in Turkey at all, I'm afraid. 

But to me fusulinid looks the best suggestion thus far. 

• I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Fusulinid is my best bet, too.

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Middle–late Asselian (Early Permian) fusulinid fauna from the post-Variscan cover in NW Anatolia (Turkey): Biostratigraphy and geological implications | Request PDF (researchgate.net)

Okuyucu, Cengiz & Göncüoğlu, M. Cemal. (2010). Middle–late Asselian (Early Permian) fusulinid fauna from the post-Variscan cover in NW Anatolia (Turkey): Biostratigraphy and geological implications. Geobios. 43. 225-240. 10.1016/j.geobios.2009.09.006. 

• I found this Informative 1

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.