Baby ammonite or possibly a Nautilus

Chris finner

Found at runswick bay.. very small but doesn’t look like an ammonite to me… but I know nothing !!! 

9AD285A8-AC38-45D5-8B9E-10A8F22D9E81.jpeg

Hey Chris, I am sorry for not having an answer about the topic. I am just curious of one thing. I have a very similar looking rock that i believe contains a fossil inside. I would like to know how you opened the rock that way. Could you enlighten me? Thanks in advance. And i hope i am not breaking any forum rules asking it from here.

Edited by Alp

@LiamL  @DanJeavs

Cropped and contrasted:

9AD285A8-AC38-45D5-8B9E-10A8F22D9E81.jpeg.f5da916a61b0f0dd8ac77343f2d2f018.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I suspect it is an ammonite. I believe Amaltheus and Eleganticeras sp can be pretty smooth like your specimen. I don't have a depth of knowledge here though.

+1 for Ammonite - All nautilids I've seen have involute coiling.

On 8/3/2022 at 6:34 PM, Alp said:

Hey Chris, I am sorry for not having an answer about the topic. I am just curious of one thing. I have a very similar looking rock that i believe contains a fossil inside. I would like to know how you opened the rock that way. Could you enlighten me? Thanks in advance. And i hope i am not breaking any forum rules asking it from here.

I’m no expert but I’ve been told to bring the hammer down onto the rock but hit it with the lower corner of the hammer… not the flat face… so you are using it almost as a chisel… if you use the flat face you are likely to crush rather than split.. 

as I say though I am no expert and I don’t think there’s any way to control exactly how it will spit 

hope that help a little 

Hello! 

It is indeed an ammonite, as others have confirmed. Yours is specifically Eleganticerous elegantulum, a typical smooth shelled ammonite of Yorkshire localities. The warped nature of the spiral is due to morphic pressures over time which squish the rock, this one is such to a point where it is crushed, but not broken. This is because geologic time is... very long. In that time, rock can do all sorts of weird things - like act as a liquid! 

• I found this Informative 2

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Though it could also be Amaltheus sp., due to the pattern (or lack of!) on the siphuncle, I am siding with E. elegantulum - though a picture of the keel would be more than helpful in confirming (or denying) this identification.

• I found this Informative 2

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

3 minutes ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

Hello! 

It is indeed an ammonite, as others have confirmed. Yours is specifically Eleganticerous elegantulum, a typical smooth shelled ammonite of Yorkshire localities. The warped nature of the spiral is due to morphic pressures over time which squish the rock, this one is such to a point where it is crushed, but not broken. This is because geologic time is... very long. In that time, rock can do all sorts of weird things - like act as a liquid! 

Thank you for a very comprehensive answer.. it was the smooth shel that was making me wonder.. 

thanks again 

12 minutes ago, Chris finner said:

Thank you for a very comprehensive answer.. it was the smooth shel that was making me wonder.. 

thanks again 

No problems! Poorer preserved ammonites often have smoother shells than diagnostically typical.

• 3 weeks later...