BirdsAreDinosaurs

I finally made a start with a project I was planning for a while now: drawing the Kem Kem dinosaur fauna! 

First I will draw each dinosaur individually and then I will combine them all in one big landscape.

As you can probably tell, I am not aiming for 100% scientific accurary. I do however try to take into account what I know about these animals and what is known about their skeletons.

This is the first one and probably the most iconic of them all: Spinosaurus.

Screenshot_20220803-193120_Gallery.thumb.jpg.8950b208750fd8d6f5d08e4e63bc3011.jpg

I will give regular updates here about this fun project, so stay tuned!

Edited by BirdsAreDinosaurs
  • Enjoyed 8

• 2 weeks later...

Two new Kem Kem dinosaurs: Carcharodontosaurus and Rebbachisaurus. A little face off between the two. I will add better shading and highlights when I put all the dinos together in the landscape.

Next up: Rugops primus!

Screenshot_20220814-083245_Gallery.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my version of a Kem Kem abelisaurid. I based its head on the skull of Rugops primus. I know there is no evidence that abelisaurids were feathered, but why not? I gave him some very speculative red display feathers too.

Screenshot_20220826-133506_Gallery.thumb.jpg.8d433fd101eec7147173bdd52c128cd1.jpg

I also updated my Spinosaurus to make it a bit more accurate.

Screenshot_20220826-133310_Gallery.thumb.jpg.656d46a05bae72822eaba0d0773086cc.jpg

Next up: Deltadromeus agilis!

• Enjoyed 5

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my take on Deltadromeus agilis. As its head has never been found, I loosely based the head on Masiakasaurus (I am assuming Deltadromeus is a noasaurid). I decided to give him feathers, as he is pretty slender and might benefit from some thermal insulation.

Deltadromeus_los.jpg.2b9635e4846cd1a1936c741b0889ba61.jpg

Next up: an unknown dromaeosaurid!

• Enjoyed 2

• 3 weeks later...

These are my Kem Kem dromaeosaurids. Even though at the moment I am not yet entirely convinced of the evidence supporting the presence of dromaeosaurids on the Kem Kem beds, I decided to include them anyway.

dromeae_forum.jpg.51f6e9e7537046392d4b3326b5ff303d.jpg

Next up are the final dinosaurs that I will draw before I will put the whole thing together: some unknown titanosaurs!

• Enjoyed 2

Hi,

cool drawings and ambitious project! 

While I just learned about the hypothesis that Deltadromeus may belong to the Noasauridae I think that Masiakasaurus had a very specialized skull morphology not representative of the whole expanded group as far as I understand. But as long as there is no fossil skull, fair enough.

Best Regards,

J

• Enjoyed 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

I can never get enough of prehistoric art!:)

If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to draw these?

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, GreatHoatzin said:

I can never get enough of prehistoric art!:)

If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to draw these?

Sure! These are digital paintings made in Affinity Photo, which is a raster graphics editor (pretty similar to Photoshop).

• Thank You 1

33 minutes ago, BirdsAreDinosaurs said:

These are digital paintings made in Affinity Photo, which is a raster graphics editor (pretty similar to Photoshop).

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

The final dinosaurs that will feature in my Kem Kem landscape: two sauropods! One of them represents a titanosaurian, the other a titanosauriform. 

999726979_Titanosaurs_edit-kopie.jpg.cb60d585bf8d2741271a601b4057487f.jpg

I did not spend too much time on the smaller details here, because these two vegisaurs will be in the background of my final work.

Now it is time to bring everything together in one big landscape!

• 2 weeks later...

So here it is, my Kem Kem landscape! All animals that I shared in this thread are included. I also added some indeterminate pterosaurs and one hint at an additional dinosaur species. Can you find it?

final_design_v5_TFF.thumb.jpg.3d2a55c559f6bcf9cdbc74671acfcfe5.jpg

This is a low quality version, the original file is much larger. I am not quite sure yet what to do with it. I think that I will at least print it as a large poster for myself. 

It was a fun project to work on. And though I know this image is far from realistic (which is also never really a goal of mine as an illustrator), I did learn a lot about dinosaur morphology.

• Enjoyed 2

41 minutes ago, BirdsAreDinosaurs said:

So here it is, my Kem Kem landscape! All animals that I shared in this thread are included. I also added some indeterminate pterosaurs and one hint at an additional dinosaur species. Can you find it?

final_design_v5_TFF.thumb.jpg.3d2a55c559f6bcf9cdbc74671acfcfe5.jpg

This is a low quality version, the original file is much larger. I am not quite sure yet what to do with it. I think that I will at least print it as a large poster for myself. 

It was a fun project to work on. And though I know this image is far from realistic (which is also never really a goal of mine as an illustrator), I did learn a lot about dinosaur morphology.

Amazing! I really liked how I can see the Spino’s reflection in the water.

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, BirdsAreDinosaurs said:

I also added some indeterminate pterosaurs and one hint at an additional dinosaur species. Can you find it?

Is it the small nest of eggs under the Rebbachisaurus? Perhaps a nod to the Iguanodontid footprint discovered? Also, that footprint next to the Spino seems similar...:zzzzscratchchin:

Edited by GreatHoatzin

• 4 months later...