Archaeopteryx?

Duddyson

Hey everyone, my brother obtained this fossil from my grandma who got it from my great grandpa after he passed away. I have no reason to believe my great grandpa would fake this because he kept it to himself. However if it’s an archaeopteryx it’s pretty hard to believe. Let me know what you guys think, thanks in advance. 

B5F71ED1-BBA4-403D-BFB9-5A16A6AB2038.jpeg

19AE377F-88AB-49AB-A14F-480684FA6268.jpeg

1C910CE9-65A7-47A1-A2F5-32BB5D4A6A83.jpeg

BC955F62-5B8B-4B04-9BA5-018ADBF0966C.jpeg

EF79BF2B-91C1-4A17-A676-55559FE8CD1D.jpeg

0118A1ED-1A65-4E8D-8282-442F395D693B.jpeg

B431BC20-D07A-4BE8-9A2B-E79644060742.jpeg

Dont take this as any kind of attack, but my first impression is that this is a fake.  The whole thing feels "off" when I look at it, and close ups of it, I see lines surrounding the "bones" when look like where it could have been glued onto the slab.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I thought it was copy of well known fossil too but oddly I can't find a match?  I'm no expert but appears to be some repair between hind legs, why would anyone repair a fake?

Sorry but it's a complete fake not a replica or real.  Most of the key "bones" are the wrong shape, have no detail and some are missing.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 3

I often see these replicas at flea markets in China and from time to time at online marketplaces.

Edited by oilshale
  • I found this Informative 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

2 hours ago, oilshale said:

replica

Are you able to provide info about the original (if there is one)?
Thank you!
Franz Bernhard

2 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Are you able to provide info about the original (if there is one)?
Thank you!
Franz Bernhard

Yeah, more correct would be fake instead of replicas. The "artist's" model was certainly an Archaeopteryx (possibly the Berlin specimen).

Edited by oilshale
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Sadly, yes this is a fake made on a slate roofing tile (Rockwood spotted that). It does look to have been copied from the pose of the Berlin specimen as mentioned by oilshale. If this was indeed in your family for some time the more interesting story would be where did this fake come from?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specimens_of_Archaeopteryx#/media/File:Archaeopteryx_lithographica_(Berlin_specimen).jpg

Archaeopteryx_lithographica_(Berlin_specimen).jpg

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2