Auction website trilobite genuine?

kmmerwick

Hi I am totally new to buying fossils online and need a bit of hand-holding.  Dear experts:  would you say this is fake or real?

1853968794_Screenshot2022-08-04131601.jpg.a8de66b7332bd4a6e41ce160dca8d565.jpg

11 minutes ago, Kane said:

The pygidium seems to have been carved into existence. 

I don't think that's the only part that's been carved into existence. Multiple of the spines/legs coming out the side look painted/carved on.

• I Agree 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

2 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

I don't think that's the only part that's been carved into existence. Multiple of the spines/legs coming out the side look painted/carved on.

They commonly are, but I cannot say anything more definitive with the one blurry image. 

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks so much for your help!  I've already learned something new.  I'll see if I can get a higher res image.

As others have said, lots of this appears to be a work of (not particularly good) art... Note the difference in texture at the pygidium (tail), which is bumpy (like the matrix - which is the fancy word for the rock the fossil sits in), much unlike the main bit, which is shiny and real. The pygidium (and much of the spines) have been completely carved and painted black - this is visible by the fact that the surface texture of it isn't consistent with the actual fossil, but is instead exactly the same as the matrix. I wouldn't be too surprised if the whole thing had a coat of paint, as to match the fiction in the pygidium and spines.

• I Agree 1

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Oh thank you guys for your help.  I'd like to get my grandpa the coolest genuine trilobite.  Do you guys have any suggestions about reputable places to shop?  PM me please.

Edited by kmmerwick
Removed: for around $250

Please do not post budgets or pricing.  ;)

Any recommendations can only be made via PM.  Thanks.

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Oh jeez, thanks for the heads up:DOH: 

I am, clearly, a newbie!

Edited by kmmerwick
  • Thank You 1